Phantom Kirbies
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

A Bard's Tale Prinprin-0d2f178599AccueilDernières imagesRechercherS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -39%
Pack Home Cinéma Magnat Monitor : Ampli DENON ...
Voir le deal
1190 €

A Bard's Tale

AuteurMessage
Chocolat
Général de la Scarlette, ennemi de la Révolution
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:38

[A BARD'S TALE-THE MINSTREL SINGS]
[-----------------------------------------------------]
[WRITTEN BY BENNY MATSUYAMA ]
[TRANSLATED BY RAYWING ]
[PUBLISHED IN ROMANCING SAGA - MINSTREL SONG ULTIMANIA]

PROLOGUE
________

The clear blue sky, an exclusive feature that of the Dry Lands, slowly darkens and changes its color.

The sun is already slowly setting, drifting off to the far side of the dunes. The clouds on the horizons spot tinges of orange being showered by the evening sun, yet the heights of the skies are breathtakingly blue. A clear, clean color that seems to draw the soul of one in, a color deep as the deepest obsidian that mankind has ever seen. In a moment, that color shall shift into a heavy blue, and stars would probably start to sparkle in the skies. As always, tonight, the skies would probably be illuminated by that everlasting light.

Near the outskirts of the Kaklim Desert - the vast, desolated land that spans far and wide north of the Rosalia Kingdom - there is a little village by the name of Uso, just beside the New Road. To the travelers of Dry Lands, which climate is as dry as its name implies, this little oasis village, rough and shabby as it is, is an intermediate resting point that is essential for the crossing of the harsh terrains. An old lady, who runs a simple inn by just stretching a tent over as a shelter, identified the brightest star in the sky and began to give thanks to the gods for another peaceful day passed.

That's right; the era of uncertainty has passed. The awakening of the evil god has been stopped, and the monsters that used to threaten the streets are seen no more. There is no longer any need for any worries of destruction. Later, when more travelers visit, the old lady can probably comfortably live off the money she earns from the lodgings that they pay for.

--- But well, for today, it seems like that is not going to happen.

The old lady, standing before the curtains, softly turned her head around her shoulders and sighed lightly. There, a soft sound of steady footsteps approached, and the sands drifted about in front of her.

"Gramma, good day. I came to fetch the rest."
"At least call me Granny, will ya? And stop kicking the sands. Gosh, how many times have I told you kids already?"
"Eheheh, sorry!"

The child, scratching his head in a nonchalant manner, is a boy from the village that has barely turned eight. At the time when rumors had that the resurrection of Saruin - the God of Destruction - is near, the boy had always stood at the entrance of the village donning a weird badge, and talking to adventurers without a slightest hint of fear of strangers. Though not being seen for quite a while already, today, the badge in the comical shape of a sun, gleamed on the waist of the boy. That is probably never going to change, thought the old lady, and she gave up with a shrug of her shoulders.

"Guys, wake up! It's dusk already! Everything is ready!"

I'm still sleepy. Argh, and I finally fell asleep! Eh, it's night already? It's so warm that I can't sleep. You did, you were snoring so loudly! You aren't used to sleeping in a group, eh? Hey, that's my dress, why are you a boy wearing that? Ouch, stop stepping on my foot already! I'm hungry. Good morning mummy. Ugh, let go of my legs you silly! and, from within the commotion inside the curtains, girls and boys about the age of the child that came to wake them up appeared one by one. As they slowly lined up, that number came to about twenty, with each child wearing the same badge as the boy from the village.

If this was a stay-over I would have been able to collect 120 gold, thought the old lady as she sighed again. Not collecting any money from resting travelers while the sun is still up is an age-old unofficial rule throughout all inns in the world.

Even so, where did all these children came from?, the old lady wondered. Among the children, apart from the mix of races from Rosalians, Kjari, Bafal nationals, if you look at their clothing that carries their cultures, there are children from the Knight's Dominion, Walon Isle and even from Ligau Isle. A tanned seaside boy wears a beautiful shell bracelet, a specialty of the Coral Sea. Another boy, whom although at first glance resembles a Rosalian with his blond hair and blue eyes, carries a strong southern feature, reminds the old lady of a traveler from a tribe - the Valhals, a tribe of people from Valhalland, a place close to the borders and as cold as the south pole - that she has met when she was young. It couldn't be, she shook her head and thought. And those three girls, with attires that are Frontier-styled, would have come all the way from the west end of the New Road, if they really did.

It's probably that traveling bard in that faded garb who has gathered these children, dressing them in attires from all over the world, intending to put up some play or something, so thought the old lady, as she tidied up the curtains that were left in a mess. Come to think of it, the pub owner seems to be busier running around than usual today. As she made the decision to pop by afterwards when there are no more guests to take care of, she realized that she is actually looking forward to what is going to happen in Uso tonight. And then she remembered. Those emotions and feelings that have been forgotten through those years of disturbance and unease. That the joy and excitement that colors life were actually there, in everyday life, just like this.

The children, having fully recharged by their afternoon nap, led by the boy from the village, threaded through the evening Uso, brightly and noisily. They stepped onto the tiled pavement of New Road, the path that cuts across the village, which stretched northwards and southwards endlessly.

Passing by the pub, with only some chairs, a cloth ceiling and some food and beverages set out on the tables, the children stepped off the tiled pavement and went around the oasis. There, scaling onto the platform at the rear of the village, stands an impressive shrine that enshrines a huge stone tablet. On a day of a festival, in the square in front of this shrine known as the Shrine of Kama, people of Uso would be dancing around a bonfire, celebrating and giving thanks for their harvest. But tonight, there were no people to be found near the crimson burning fire illuminating the darkness --- except for one.

With a wide hat decorated with a feather pulled to his eyes, in a travel garb that looks tea-colored from afar even though there were numerous colors weaved on, a young man --- or so to speak, it is hard to determine how old he is at one glance. While he possesses a young, wrinkle-free countenance, his eyes tells a quiet light that has passed a long period of time, similar to that of the stars.

The young man carried a unique looking lute that extends two parallel necks. With that, one can easily tell what the young man does for a living. Weaving into songs legends and lores from the ancient mythical times and stories told by adventurers on their quests and singing them --- only a Minstrel can handle an instrument that requires a high level of skill such as this.

"Mr. Minstrel!"

Recognizing the young man, the children ran up close to him in an unorderly manner. As the children surrounded him, the young man's eyes thinned into a line and smiled.

"Boys and girls, I'm impressed that you actually came all the way here this far. I had worried a little if you could make it to Uso, you know?"

"It was nothing, right--?"

The three children from Frontier stood in proudly in a line.

"We went to the forest as you have told us, and the faeries appeared and accompanied us to nearby Uso!"

Me too, me also, hey does that means everyone came by the same way, the faeries are friends of Mr. Minstrel? - The kids rowed, and the young man nodded as he looked at each and all of them.

"The faeries liked humans. Or should I say, grew to like humans. The heroes had saved them. That is why they invited you children into the Faerie Woods and helped you on your journey... Alright, come on, just take a seat where you like. Tidbits and drinks have been prepared for you."

Nearby the square, cushions weaved from grasses collected from the Steppes of Galessa were laid out, along with Rosalian candies and lorenges, and tea filled with honey. Tonight is the night that the Minstrel had promised the Volunteer Brigades. The Minstrel, as a reward to these little volunteers, would give them a treat and sing them songs and stories for their efforts.

As the children settled down on their favorite seats, the Minstrel strummed his lute. Within the village of Uso that has just welcomed the nightfall, a perfectly tuned melody tells the beginning of a party.

"What shall I sing tonight? Let's start with the Three Evil Gods and Elore, and the Battle of Mirsa the Silver Warrior..."

Protests of we had enough of that already shot about immediately. The Minstrel gave a little cough, how about the story of the Evil God and the Gecklings, or how about the story of the Butcher the Fearsome Pirate? Those were rejected also. The kids already knew that the Minstrel was running out of ideas, and the proposal of each weird story drew another round of laughter.

"Well, then how about the gallant appearance and bravery of the Black Prince and the Unicorn Knights at the time when the monsters launched an all-out attack to take Estamir?"

"We, we would like to hear that too, but..."

Much as they would have liked to hear the stories about Neidhart, the royal prince of their nation, what the children from Crystal City wanted to hear about as they squirmed in their seats was another story. What the little volunteers really wanted to hear about was the story of the travelers that the children have met; an adventurous story of how those adventurers grown to become heroes and fought the Evil God Saruin and prevented his awakening in the end.

After a brief silence, the Minstrel began to struck his lute as he closed his eyes. The children held their breath in silence. They knew that this meant that the story that they have been waiting for is about to begin.

Before long, under the bright starry sky, a quiet yet heart-moving tune, weaves on...
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:39

BARBARA - THE AMETHYST OF ILLUSIONS

"Sis, you're a dancer, right? Care to show me a dance?"

Barbara, whom the voice was addressing to, reflexively smiled and turned around in a beautiful style. To show her charm here would make a difference in what she would be rewarded with later. No man would like to see a displeased look on an amiable beauty.

"No problem! Give us a tip if you like it, alright?"

Answering in a cheerful manner, Barbara then realized that the voice is that of a traveling minstrel. Apart from the fact that the bard, dressed in a shabby traveling garb, does not seem in any way to be a wealthy customer, requesting for a fellow artist in the same trade to perform is even more unusual, and thus for that moment a look of surprise flashed across her face. As a dancer who has stepped into her thirties, Barbara is definitely not considered young anymore, but her unpretentious expressions in moments such as this made her welcomed wherever her troupe went. This goes the same for Weston, the largest rendezvous for expeditors on the Frontier, on the far western end of the New Road.

Being Barbara, the one that everyone loved, she is not a person who would turn down a request just because of how the customer looked. As she recovered from her surprise, she smiled and signaled at her partner, who had just gave up trying to strike business with a drunkard in the corner of the pub.

The noise in the pub suddenly came to a standstill silence. At the moment Barbara stepped onto the center of the floor, took a pose and closed her eyes, a tensed feeling spread out like a wave and filled the pub. The men who were chit-chatting on the table over their drinks as well as the old expeditors smoking away at the counter, seemingly to restore themselves after a tiring day, all felt that tension in the air and shifted their sights to where that tension is coming from.

Right on the moment when all eyes in the pub were fixed on her, Barbara began to move. Slowly and smoothly, her limbs flowed through the air, in a manner that none knew when she had started. Her male partner began to hit a rhythm with his castanet, and the girl in the same troupe added on with her voice. The pace of her motions slowly increased, and before long she has moved into a passionate, rhythmic dance.

Then and there, a sound that Barbara has not expected entered the picture. Played by fingers on strings, a tune powerful yet carrying a strong sense of sadness --- it was a melody weaved by the twin-neck lute carried by the minstrel. Barbara was taken by surprise. There wasn't any practice done beforehand, yet the tune played by the minstrel's slender fingers blended perfectly with her dance. Thoroughly harmonizing with the ever-changing moves of the dancer, without overpowering the dance at all, yet the tune brought out and magnified the emotions and expressions of the dance by two or even three folds. Barbara was focused right to her fingertips, and felt herself sharpening and opening up. Those slow moves that used to threaten to break her balance, those forceful spins that used to threaten to take her breath away, she now felt she could perform them without any hint of difficulty at all. As if the muse of art resides there, a dance seemingly of a different world from that of cheap little pub continues...

As if to match her, as Barbara stamped on the floor and halted as she finished her dance, a last sound tells the end of the performance. With just a little silence, before long the pub is filled with thunderous applause and cheering.

She let go of the breath that she has been holding on to. This is the moment that Barbara, as a dancer, loved most. The relief from the tension, and the unwithheld applause from the audience. There is no joy greater than a dance that could satisfy her. Even though this was a path that she has chosen to be her livelihood, Barbara in fact loved dancing itself.

At the same time, this also displays her heart, her love for the existence of mankind itself. Definitely, the world is not just made up of good and kind people. There will always be villains who cannot live without taking things from other people. People who have died for money or power, she had seen enough of them all. But even so, she had believed that humans is an existence that must having something that can move their hearts.

If my dance can move the hearts of people, then that shall be the value of my life --- While she did not realize that herself, to Barbara, being rooted deeply in the bottom of her conscience, anyone she is dancing for is an important person to her. While she has a pride and strong spirit that would hold her up in the face of unreasonable violence, she sees mankind itself with her deeply gentle and compassionate eyes. The dancer that overflows with abundance of love, and the dancer that is loved by all --- that, is Barbara the Traveling Dancer.

With her bright, beautiful pinkish-lit face, she approached the musician who had lifted her skills as a dancer to beyond her limits. The minstrel had just in time put his lute behind him and stood up.

"Ah, that was wonderful."

The minstrel spoke in a slightly different tone as Barbara approached.

"I played a tune as I suddenly felt an urge to... I hope it has not disturbed you?"

"Nothing of that sort! You were good, bro. As my troupe has no players, we always felt something missing."

she winked at him as she wiped the sweat off her forehead.

"Ah, I'm relieved then. Oh, and, that was an impressive dance. You're almost like a dancer back in the times of the Estamir Kingdom... I would really like so much to express how impressed I am, but unfortunately I don't have anything that could match that now ---"

"It's alright, think nothing of it. Besides, thanks to you we had business... Look, my partner is so busy now."

As she said so, she directed him with her eyes to the castanet guy who is, with an impressive merchant-looking grin, along with the girl who sang, going from customer to customer. Due to the wonderful dance, the men from Frontier, even though they were definitely nowhere close to being wealthy, gave generously to the swift actions of the girl collecting tips with her hat.

"See? It looks like we have collected more than usual this time round."

"Well but hmm... AH YES!"

In a slightly dramatic manner, the minstrel hit his fist on his palm, and reached into his chest pocket to search and took out something glimmering. Under the dim lighting of the pub, a huge gem with complicated cuttings emits a soft, purple glow.

"As a return, you can have this amethyst necklace. Please accept it."

"Are you sure? Giving me something like this?"

As if invited by the glow of the necklace, Barbara reached out and took the necklace, and was surprised that it was better done than she had thought. An amateur would never be able to tell that it is an imitation. Furthermore, even Barbara herself could not tell it apart from a real amethyst. But there is no way that this can be a real one. Where in the universe would anyone pay an amethyst that is worth the mansion of a royalty, as a reward for a mere dance?

"No, it's alright. It would be better for me to... ah, never mind. Please, just take it."

--- Ahaha, it's a fake after all.

"Well, I'll gratefully accept it then. Thank you."

Even though it is definitely just an imitation, with one this well done, it would still be valuable as part of her dress-up. Of course, Barbara did not think that the minstrel was trying to cheat her. Even though she would not daresay that it definitely is a fake, it would be silly to think that it was real anyway. Thus, she was thanking the minstrel for the grooming value of the fake gem truly from her heart.

Just for that brief moment, from a corner of the minstrel's smile, a complicated expression that consists partially of guilt yet partially of an anticipation flashed by. But Barbara did not catch that as her attention was drawn to the amethyst.

"Well then, I should be leaving already."

After he took a glance as if to make sure that the amethyst is still shining on Barbara's palm, he lowered his head slightly and exited the pub quickly. The minstrel did not seem to be inside the pub until he called Barbara, yet now he left in such a hurried manner. It was as if he came here just to meet Barbara...

"Looks like quite a busy person."

Barbara mumbled, slightly surprised, as she watched the minstrel leave in a quick walk.

"Wow, that's so beautiful Barbara! You actually received that? Wow, that's so nice! Aw, the things a grown-up beauty can get!"

Nataly, the singer girl who had just finished collecting their tips, came near to Barbara with a heavy-looking hat full of coins. Just as wide as Nataly opened her eyes upon seeing the amethyst, Barbara's eyebrows lifted when she saw the amount of tips that were collected. While she did expect to be able to be tipped handsomely for the performance, this would be more than enough for them to call it a day now.

"They are so generous today. Your hat might just break at this rate, Nataly?"

"It, it's good to be loaded, but I don't think I'd want that to happen. This is the only hat I have..."

"Well, just use Herman's hat then. That weird, spongy looking hat of his. Well, I'd worry if they would be willing to tip into THAT, though..."

"Oh. Ohh?"

Before she knew it, the man wearing that weird hat --- Herman, the traveling merchant who is responsible as the accountant, negotiator and castanet player of the troupe, got so close to stare at the amethyst that Barbara had to use her hand to keep his face away.

"What is it, don't make that weird sound, yeah your hat looks cool alright? So let's get Nataly a new---"

"OHHHHHHHHHHHH----!?!?"

As if not hearing her, Herman roared and tucked his face up. His usually weird squinting eyes are now opened in a wide circle like a lizard's egg with a black dot on it.
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:40

"Didn't I tell you many times that face scares the hell out of me, ok!?"

"Bar, Barbara Sis!! Where did you get this necklace from? Ah, hang on one moment my eyes might have failed me... WUOOOOH, IT REALLY IS!! This, this is an authentic real amethyst, alright…. On top of that it's a huge, quality one without any blemishes or cloudiness! A collector would even pay to just have a look at it, really!"

"You're having me on, aren't you...?"

For Herman, who used to be a traveling merchant that does trades often, being able to tell the difference between a fake and a real was an essential skill for his livelihood. Barbara has never known of any instances where Herman has made a mistake in gem appraisals resulting in a loss. If Herman says so, then without a single doubt the amethyst attached to the necklace would be a real one. And she is at a loss of words, having realized only now the value of the shimmering purple crystal.

"Let's sell it, Sis! Sell it! Leave it to me, I'll be able to fetch a nifty price near North Estamir! Ah, no matter how I look at it, it would be enough to last our troupe comfortably for the rest of our lives without having to perform anymore!"

In stark contrast to Herman's increasing ecstasy, Barbara calmed down quickly.

"No way. If that's the case, then all the more we can't sell this away."

"But whwhwhwhwhwh, Why?"

"Look Herman, think about it... Would you by mistake give this away as a reward for the dance earlier on? You won't, would you? You would at least think that this might be a real one, right?"

"Ah? Err, well, yeah... It's not quite possible."

As he calmed down and regained some composure, Herman scratch his head and answered.

"If it wasn't for any good reasons, such as some big trouble or --- "

"Isn't it? Take something that you don't deserve and keep it, and you won't know what kind of trouble you are running into. So let's not regard this as our earnings. Since we would be traveling around doing business like he is, we'll probably run into him again one day. Until then I'll keep it close to me just as a necklace. OK?

"I'd hate to say this, but you are right..."

Even though being the merchant that he is, Herman is definitely not someone greedy. As soon as he comprehended what Barbara is saying, he immediately put the matter of the amethyst behind him and went onto another subject.

"That aside, we've quite a pretty windfall today. I didn't expect to get so much when we were talking about going to Tarmitta from here on!"

"Herman, do something about my hat."

Nataly, carrying the crooked hat torn under the weight of the money inside, was about to cry.

"Alright, let's buy Nataly who has work so hard a new hat! How about an enamel bicon-looking hat that matches mine?"

"I'd appreciate that, but even if it's the real thing, I wouldn't---"

As she watched the duo leave the pub to make preparations to leave, Barbara held the amethyst up and peered through the light. There was no cloudiness at all, but for that brief moment, some kind of haze that seems like a whirl of a mysterious power stirred within the amethyst.

---- Hmmm, this thing looks like it has a history... As if it came from that story, it seems.

Ahaha... with a chuckle, she gentle shook her head. A legend told in the Estimir Kingdom, about the "Amethyst of Illusions", a stone of fate said to have brought the downfall of the Kingdom --- Even if it does exist, am I saying that it somehow ended up in the hands of a traveling dancer? It must be some kind of dangerous loot or something, and that minstrel would definitely come back one day to ask for it to be returned --- after Barbara concluded so with her common sense, she let go of the amethyst and allowed it to dangle freely from her neck. It might be a valuable custody, but having a mere dancer wearing it in such simplicity, there is probably not a single person who would think that it could be a real gem.

"Barbara, you leavin' already?"

"Aw, what can we look forward to when we come to this pub now?

"Come on, at least sit here and drink with me today!"

She moved from seat to seat to give her last salutations to the familiar faces of the drinkers.

"Sorry... But I'll be here again next year again, alright?"

Putting on a slightly sad look, she moved around and politely bid her farewell.

To be traveling around is the fate of performing troupes like them. Unlike exclusive performing troupes that are hired by prosperous royalties and wealthy merchants, as troupes like them performing for the commoners, they cannot stay at a place for too long. Why would that be so is because what they are earning is "leftover money". No matter how wonderful the entertainment industry is, it cannot support the troupe to the point where it affects the daily expenses of the poor. To move on after staying for a while at their discretion, traveling between many towns and villages, is the way that can see the troupes and their audience maintain the lives of each other.

The reason why the settlers in Weston, who really went through tough heavy labor everyday, were so generous today on their fees was exactly because they understood that fact well. If they are stingy when the dancer is leaving, the troupe might have to exclude them from future performances as the business was poor, and take this mere form of entertainment away from this little developing land in the far western end. Expressing their wishes for them to return again, they bade farewell to one another in a pleasant mood.

"Until then, please work and save up steadily! I will be brushing up my dancing as well as my beauty too!"

Waving her hands in a playful manner, leaving behind the expeditors with their frolic you're already pretty enough!, Damn won't you marry me? Don't you have 3 kids already?, She walked near to a man quietly seated at a corner of the counter.

A man with long red hair and a mask covering his mouth completely, dressed in Kjaraht manner. While his figure is slim, in no way does it give any impression of fragility. If you take a close and careful look, the slim body compounds of only necessary muscles, so well-toned that not a single bit of useless flesh is left. He is clearly different from the usual men of Frontier that bulge at their arms and legs thanks to the heavy manual labor.

In contrary to the look of the body hidden with sharpness, the man stared at the counter with a vague look. But, in actual fact, he was not looking at anything at all. What he was looking at was the darkness within him, the never-dispersing jet black fog that enshrouds and hides his past experiences.

The man has no memories. Except for his name, Darque, he could not recall whatever he had done anywhere at all. He was wandering about, not knowing even where he is, standing on the bridge in Weston staring absent-mindedly at the muddy stream flowing into the sea, when Barbara talked to him and brought him to this pub.

A man with a weird expression and an air of trouble around him. One that even Barbara, who would not leave troubled people alone, would have avoided contact with normally. But, at that moment where their eyes came into contact, she saw a mysterious color from the behind depths of Darque's eyes. Eyes that were straight and honest, hiding a strong devoted will that would not hesitate even at sacrificing oneself. It is ridiculous to say so, but Barbara thought it resembles the eyes that of a pure maiden. She talked to him, and from there she was told that he has lost his memories. With her business instinct, her confidence in judging a person, and since fate had put them there, she decided that she cannot pretend that she has not seen him.

And thus, she invited Darque to join them to travel to Kjaraht. There is a chance that a change in the surrounding scenery might more or less jolt his memories, and if they travel to Tarmitta, there is a possibility that they might find someone who knows him, dressed in his Kjaraht outfit.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting. C'mon, let's get going."

"... Ah, ah... Leaving?"

As if finally realized that someone was talking to him, Darque raised his head weakly and looked at Barbara.

"... But, can my memories really return?..."

"Don't worry over it, travel with us? No guarantees, but it's definitely better than remaining here in Frontier! By the way, you are such a strong drinker! The bottles I bought you earlier on are almost all empty now!"

She shook an empty bottle of the special Frontier ale left on the counter as a look of surprise took her face. This was originally cheap ale brewed purely for the strength of it, designed to knock the rowdy drunkards of Frontier out. Darque had finished most of it, yet he did not look at all tipsy.

"I, I'm sorry... I wasn't supposed to drink it?"

"It's not that you can't drink it but... ah well, if you're alright with it. A constitution that can't get drunk, huh? That's so uneconomical; you should just drink plain water next time."

"Alright, I shall do just that."

"I was just kidding, duh!"

As he tilted his head trying to understand what "kidding" means, Barbara left the pub laughing together with Darque.

It was said that recently in Frontier, monsters nesting in the undeveloped areas are becoming more active. There were rumors of numerous monsters wondering about on the stretch of the New Road from Weston to Tarmitta. The trip this time might just involve a few fights.

--- Even so, things will be just fine.

With her optimistic personality, she laughed off even the whispering rumors of the resurrection of the Evil God Saruin that is haunting the people. If a evil god does exist, then there would probably be a good god that will do something about it. A traveling dancer can't do anything even if she's bothered about it, and she already has enough to handle that she can't be involved with something that doesn't concern her, she thought.

She did not have any reason to know.

--- That the circle of destiny has already taken her firmly by her neck.
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:41

* PART III - ALBERT - THE AQUAMARINE OF WATER *

Isthmus, functioning as a boundary between the mighty Rosalia Kingdom and Bafal Empire, located On the narrow lands connecting northern and southern Bafal continent --- During the hundred-thirty-over years after Rosalia declared independance, as a strategic position that would greatly affect the influence of the two nations, this place has seen countless history of taking and being taken, harbouring constantly the tensions of the warfront.

The Castle Isthmus that was known to be impregnable did not have any history of being conquered directly. For every generation of the lord who rules the castle, the Lord of Isthmus, would be the one who decides whether Isthmus will pledge loyalty to the Empire or the Kingdoms. That was the inital political position of Isthmus during the early days of the independence of Rosalia, and the only way that a dominion on the borderland, with nothing but barren and infertile lands, can fight for rights and survival while being sandwiched between two powerful nations.

However, ever since the Bafal Empire started on the path of regression, Isthmus has substantially became a part of the Rosalia Kingdom. Above all, Rudolf, the reigning Lord of Isthmus, has pledged his faithful loyalty to King Karl III, and displayed even more of such submission towards the young crown prince Neidhart - known as the "Black Prince" - who had officially taken over the duties of his father, whose health is declining. On top of that, a direct relation between the two families is now established as Neidhart proposed marriage to Diana, the daughter of Rudolf. With that, the position of Isthmus would become as secure as a cornerstone in the Kingdom, and whatever happens, the Empire would have no chance to take Isthmus ever again. Or so everyone thought.

However, the firm castle that was said to be unfallable fell with the appearance of an unexpected ambush.

As the word implies, it was a force that was well-hidden. On the night that a banquet was held in the entire castle to celebrate the proposal of marriage by Neidhart, from within the lines of heavy vigilance, a swarm of monsters in unbelievable numbers appeared out of nowhere.

It was a surprised assault that seemed almost like the monsters appeared from an underground lair. On top of that, in contrary to the fact that the monsters should only have as much intellect as beasts, they were well-organised and were attacking the crucial areas steadily. Even though Rudolf, as a superior commander, directed the battle with all his might to regain a foothold after the Isthmus forces was cut off from the security forces outside in the initial attack, it was already too late. The castle gate was breached, and monsters flowed in by numbers like an avalanche, beyond what the forces left within the castle can hope to take on.

As Rudolf assessed that it would just be a matter of time before the castle falls, he appointed Diana and her brother Albert, who is his only son and successor, as urgent messengers to Crystal City, the capital of Rosalia. Of course, it would already be meaningless to request for reinforcements from a place so far in such a situation. Rudolf had two purposes in mind. One was to inform Neidhart as soon as possible about the new threat of such an unnaturally organised army of monsters. And the other was so that at least his children, who were still young, can survive and live on.

Although the two of them escaped from the castle broken-hearted, through a hidden passage that was prepared but never used since the day Castle Isthmus was build, leaving their family and comrades behind, they were trapped by swarms of monsters in no time. On the earth of Isthmus which resembles a narrow path separating the Inner Sea and the oceans outside, menacing monsters attacked them in never-ending waves as they attempted to break through with all their might.

Albert, who is reaching the official adulthood of 18 in Rosalia, came to a decision deep in his heart. To protect Diana even if he has to lose his life, and let her fulfill the role as the messenger. She is a sister, someone related by blood, and she is the lady who is to become the wife of Neidhart, whom he respected. If their lives is to be placed on a scale, without a doubt it would be Diana's life that is heavier --- so the brother, who still have the fragility of a boy left in him, judged as a noble serving the Kingdom. However, even if Diana was not betrothed to the master, Albert would probably still thought that way. That was the way he was nurtured, as the son and successor of Rudolf, Lord of Isthmus, with an unmoving will to uphold this "Righteous Honour".

And such a will exists within Diana as well.

While she was born earlier than Albert, who would carry on the family name, deep within the charming lady who does not lose out to men were areas that are unnervingly similar to her brother. What Diana thought was that, since now that Isthmus has fallen, Neidhart no longer have any need for a political marriage with her, and thus if the family name is to be revived, it would only be Albert, who is the sole male heir, who can achieve that. While Neidhart truely loved her, she was not confident as she always felt that she was not womanly. As such, even though her heart hit the seventh heavens when Neidhart proposed to her, she had thought that it was nothing more than a diplomatic move to bring Isthmus and Rosalia together by family relations. On top of that, she recalls the time when she was young. The day that Albert was born, and how joyful her father really looked when he finally had a successor. Diana had made up her mind at that time. That she, being the one closest to Albert, will train and nurture him to become a man. Until the day comes that he can stand alone on his own, she would protect him no matter what happens.

Between the two siblings bearing the same thoughts, it was Diana who acted first. Even while they were being chased to the cliff facing the Inner Sea, the monsters kept increasing in numbers. From within the darkness behind the scores of monsters, she heard a roar, which she realised was that of a dragon's. Deciding that this would be the furthest they could get, she suddenly pulled Albert from his back, and threw her brother, falling through the empty air, into the Inner Sea. As a well-known tomboy girl around Castle Isthmus, she knew that the waters around the cliff in this area were deep, and the currents were not as strong. In addition, since Albert was young, as a boy of Isthmus, he was forced to learn how to swim, whether he liked it or not. He can definitely make it. Now if I can stop the pursuers here...

With the ferocity of a lion, one by one she took the attacking monsters down. Piercing in one stroke the aquatic monster that attempted to chase after Albert, she immediately turned to face her next prey. But her beautiful face, smeared with the spilled blood of the monsters she killed, eventually registered an uncontrollable look of fear.

The shadow of a gigantic evil dragon engulfed her, and ---

News of Diana ceased.

--- Sis... Argh, why didn't I realise what she was thinking about back then?!

An urge to scream surged through Albert as he pulled on his blond hair each time he thought of his missing sister. Cursing his own incompetence, he had spiritlessly thought of ending his own life. There is no other way to erase the shame of an orphan of Lord Isthmus except this --- but as he contemplated that, he shook his head in anguish. If he had travelled to the Netherworld in this manner, how should he face his parents who have passed away? In the end, the only choice and mission he can achieve is to live on so that the bloodline of the Isthmus marquee does not end there. And so, Albert could not even seek to escape the dishonour of reality by the way of suicide.

Since the assault on Isthmus, Albert has walked a harsh path, with several mishaps.

After Diana forced him to escape by the Inner Sea, as he drifted along the currents unconscious in the sea at night, the currents took him to the town of Loban, a military strategic point on the Empire side, opposite of Isthmus. The one who took good care of Albert, who was in a deep slumber due to the many injuries he suffered during the fierce battles with the monsters as well as the fatigue arising from the drifting, was Monica, whom unknown to him, was a female agent from the Royal Guards of the Bafal Empire.

From the noble feel of his clothes and refinement, coupled with the report of the occurance at Isthmus, she could already half-guess Ablert's true identity, but she had no intention of handing him over to Cornelia, the Duke of Loban. While part of the reason being that she assessed that there was no merit in arresting a survivor of Isthmus, which has already fallen, the main reason was really that Monica was an agent investigating the most powerful aristocrat of the Empire - the Duke of Loban. There were abounding rumours that Cornelia, who is also the husband of Matilda, sister of the reigning Emperor Fel VI, was an anarchist constantly scheming to usurp the throne. Acting under secret orders of Nevil, the captain of the Royal Guards, to investigate the Duke, she had settled down quietly in the town of Loban and the last thing she would want is to attract unnecessary attention to herself. Also, she had felt a deep sympathy for Albert, who had slept for so long due to his hardships. So even though being an agent of an enemy country, she wanted at least to allow the young noble to fulfill his mission as a messenger to Crystal City. So in order to avoid the heavy security that he would encounter if he attempted to cross the borders by land, she directed him to Bruelle, a port city facing the Inner Sea.

While the tension between the Kingdom and the Empire is always high, the immigration control by the Inner Sea is basically lenient. This gentle inner ocean connects not just Bafal and Rosalia, but also the largest city in the world - North and South Estamir - as well as Mirsaburg, a municipal of the Knight's Dominion. As the trades done through maritime transportation by this ocean bears heavy impacts on the country's economy, having controls that were too stringent on the ports would only adversely impair the commerce of the country. As such, as long as it is not in the middle of a war, there will be no censure on anyone travelling by way of the Inner Sea.

While it is a detour compared to travelling by land, by disembarking on Yeoville, the harbour city of Rosalia, it would take just three days on a fast horse along the Newroad to reach the imperial city. Taking into account the fact that he had drifted to the Bafal Empire, as a messenger to report the details of the fall of Isthmus, it was still just late enough for him to fulfill his mission.

But ---

Withholding his anxiety, while Albert desired for his fatherland from the ship that departed Bruelle, he faced yet another severe fate.

Except for the northern-central area of the ocean off from the sea route - an area rumoured to bear an existance of a lonely island known as the Isle of Evil, covered by mysterious storms all the time - the Inner Sea has never seen any storm at all. But that day, a raging storm that was never seen took place there. With the weather of the surrounding regions remaining calm, without any warnings, the ocean bared its fangs abruptly. A raging gale so terrible that not even seamen, who are familiar with the Sea of Fertility (the outer sea in the north) or the Kelp Sea of Frontier, had ever heard of, turned into an invisible fist and broke the mast of the ship. A bolt of thunder from the blackened skies cracked like a brilliant whip, and exploded on the surface of the sea. That, eventually became an enormous wave that rivals the Garam mountain range that stretches far north of Isthmus, and in Albert's eyes, it looked like a destructive energy approaching with its own will. Standing firm on the deck washed by the wind and rain, he fixed his eyes on the absurd incarnation of death. Never turning his back, never looking away, supported merely by his sheer willpower.

Did this opposing willpower became the strength that kept the flame of life burning? Of the passengers who were swept ashore along with the wreckage of the ship, Albert was the sole survivor.

But, Albert was astonished when he woke up from a coma after being rescued by local hunters. He was in a remote place quite opposite from the direction of Rosalia --- Valhalland, a region covered in snow and ice as heavy as the south pole, connecting the extreme south of the Inner Sea. By the storm, the ship drifted a distance that rivals the entire longitude of the Bafal Empire.

As if to mock at Albert who was on a mission as a urgent messenger, it was a cruel prank played by fate. While he survived miraculously, as his body was badly weakened due to drifting in the sea of ice, it took several weeks before he could move about freely. By the time he finally recovered the strength to carry on his journey under the tender nursing of the native Valhals, and entered the Knight's Dominion along with the company and help of Sif, the best female warrior in the village, the news of the fall of Isthmus had already became common knowledge among the knights of other countries.

By now, there is no more meaning in fulfilling the mission tasked to Albert anymore. Rosalian troops had probably already been sent to Isthmus, and whatever has happened, things might have already been clearer than what Albert knew. If there is anything that Albert can report to Neidhart, it would be the fact that he was separated from his betrothed sister, Diana, who had drew the attention of the enemy in order to protect him.

He might as well fade and disappear like the foams of the sea. Even though he was ordered by Rudolf to be a messenger, from one end Albert would appear to be nothing more than a coward that has escaped alone from Isthmus before it fell. On top of that, his unfortunate wandering made it much too late for him to excuse himself as an urgent messenger. If this happened to someone else and he did not know the details, he would probably be utterly resentful as an insolent person in the eyes of a Rosalian knight.

Still, there was a reason Albert took himself into Crystal City, towards Crystal Palace. There might be a slight possibility that Diana had somehow escaped through the siege safely and made it before Albert as an urgent messenger. The chance is still there. But, if he did not do that, it would be as good as him acknowledging that Diana is no longer alive. He have to ascertain it by himself. He cannot bring anymore shame to the name of his courageous father by running away.
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:42

The moment Albert set his foot into the audience room after granted entry by the commission of the palace, that tiny bit of hope left to him was lost. When he saw the look of anticipation for good news across the face of Neidhart, who stood up at the surprise of his return, he knew immediately that there were still no news of his sister.

As he made his report, Neidhart did not say a single of blame to Albert. Not even when he told of how he was separated from Diana. And, after he dismissed his subjects, when they were left alone with just each other, the prince who was supposed to become the husband of his sister said gently to him...

"You have accomplished what your father tasked you. You have done well."

Albert could not hold his tears back anymore. He finally realised only now, that the prince has dismissed his subjects for his sake. At the same time, a sense of self-condemnation and remorse burst forth fiercely. About why he could not do anything for this person who is to become his lord. When the only way he could have fulfill his loyalty as a royal subject was to protect Diana, yet he could not do even that.

Albert spent the next few days in Crystal City like a fool, ordered to take a good rest.

The Castle of Isthmus that he should return to now lie in ruins. All the guards fought bravely, and every single one of them died valiantly in battle. His father, Rudolf, and his mother, Maria, has perished along with the guards, and Albert has no more territory, vassals, or dependents left. Considering such a situation, it would be naive to think that Diana would be alive safely.

Now, being all lonely without any family left, Albert realised that the thoughts of the many people was the pillar that has supported him all this while. To be able to answer to the expectations of his parents who have protected him all along, never slacking in his sword training so that his sister will find him worthy, endeavouring to became a ruler that his vassals can look up upon and respect. And when all these were gone, he became like a lifeless shell. What should I do now? Moreover, haven't I already proved how useless I am? --- such thoughts battered Albert so much that not even the strong encouragements of the brave woman Sif, who have escorted him all this time, could reach his ears.

And there, a top secret despatch from Neidhart came to him.

That, was a request to have Albert to seek out, with his own hands, the legendary treasure conferred by the Bafal Empire to Rosa Reimann, the ancestor of the Rosalia royalty, that was hidden in the beautiful Crystal Lake facing the city after the former King Karl I passed away --- the Aquamarine of Water, one of the legendary Destiny Stones. The whereabouts of the gem was unclear, and heavy security was placed around the Crystal Lake so that no one could steal the treasure of the nation. While it could be said as the royal decree of the Crown Prince, by sending in large teams of explorers, it would be seen as belittling the traditions of the nation, giving rise to problems that would implicate the dignity of the Kingdom. As such, Albert, being a trusted noble as well as nothing more than a mere adventurer, became the best choice for this mission.

Being tasked directly by the Black Prince whom Albert respected, a fragment of aspiration returned finally to his heart. In high spirits, he set off on the expedition together with Sif and the other comrades whom he got to know on his journey back to Rosalia.

That was probably the intention of Neidhart as well. As if being informed beforehand, the surveillance boats drifting on the lake had let their boat pass by as if they were not seen, when they are clearly suspicious under the moonlight. With that, they dived into the waters and in no time, they found the entrance to the network of caverns in the bottom of the lake.

But, Albert's bravado did not last for too long.

Beginning with the aquatic monsters, the many monsters in the spacious, airy caverns attacked any humans in sight. Such a situation triggered, much as he hated it, the memories of that fateful night with Diana. And, it was not him who efficiently finished off the monsters well, but Sif, the woman said to be the valor of the Valhals, and Gray, a swordsman with few words. Dark, the man who had lost all memories of himself except for his own name, and even the Minstrel that followed them on their adventure to gather inspirations for new songs, all seemed to be more seasoned than Albert when it comes to battles.

--- As I thought, I am really powerless. I don't have what it takes to protect my people as a royalty. If I only had the skills like that of Sif or Gray, Sis wouldn't have to make me escape alone, and we probably could have tried to fight through the siege together. Argh, how useless I am!

"Still troubled?"

After finishing the monsters nearby and wiping away the bloodstains on the two-handed sword which looked like a huge chunk of metal, Sif sat down beside Albert, who was glaring at his fists clenched before his chest with a pensive expression on his face.

"... In the end, I still couldn't do anything alone. Sif... It's just like what you said when we first met, I'm nothing more than a naive boy who has not seen much of the world. And even this time, I can't perform up to His Highness' expectations..."

"Ain't no wanna hear no complaints from a man."

The large-framed female warrior said coldly, putting her sword over her shoulder bulging with muscles.

"Looks like you've forgotten, eh? About why I, a Valhal, is here --- C'mon, enough resting for now. If we don't finish this search fast, the day's gonna break and we'll be in trouble. If that happens, it's gonna bring problems for that Neidhart too, ain't it?"

It was just as she had said. In a panic, Albert stood up quietly after Sif. Gray is silent as usual, and Dark, who seemed to be busy trying to make something out of the memories that flashed by during the battles, was mumbling incessantly to himself as he followed along. The Minstrel, as if to soothe the tension in the air, strummed gently on a string of the lute.

Soon afterwards, the party came to a location that appeared different from the rest of the caverns. The area appeared clearly to have been contructed by human hands. If so, then ahead would be --- just when the party was thinking so, a door came into sight on the end of the winding corridor. As if having detected them by magic, the huge door lifted by itself as the party got near. On the other side of the door was an area too spacious to be called a corridor, and beyond that area was something that looked like a stone room. In the center of the sanctified stone room was an altar, and something is glowing on that altar. Emitting an unusual, deep blue light.

"THAT IS --- !!"

"AL! Watch out! Something is coming!"

As he was about to race across the large room without thinking, the door behind them gave a sound and shut itself. Following immediately, the entrance to the stone room closed as well. It was a trap to imprison intruders who came to covert the most valuable treasure.

And on a pool filled with dark waters in a corner of the room, ripples of waves occured. From a tunnel that probably leads to the lake outside, the wreckage of a decayed warship surfaced. Said to be seen roaming on the Crystal Lake on dark nights, an ancient Ghost Ship appeared.

No, that was not a ship. It was a cephalopod monster that looked like a squid or octopus, huge enough to put on the hull of the ship as a husk. It was a powerful, merciless guardian, entasked to turn intruders who are not worthy of the Destiny Stone into scum of the lake.

"I always love a worthy opponent!"

Standing beside Albert, who was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the monster, Sif shouted as if to encourage herself.

"Looks like I can bring a story back to everyone at the hamlet as a souvenir. You do a good song too!"

"I can't find any words to describe this monster. How should I start --- "

As the Minstrel said so when he drew his sword, a tentacle surged through the air, swifter than the eyes could catch, and struck him forcefully. The impact knocked the Minstrel, who was unable to react, flying through the air and ramming onto the wall, and fainted. Dark immediately began to evoke an Aqualogy spell, but in the eyes of everyone, it was an opening of a battle heavily colored with defeat.

Even as the Minstrel regained his consciousness, the fierce attacks of the guardian raged on like a storm. Sif and Gray was covered with injuries dealt by the thrashing of the sharp, heavy tentacles in no time. The party had no effective attacks on the huge mollusk torso, and it would be just a matter of time before they all perish if things go on this way. Yet, the way out was sealed, and they cannot even escape.

And, suddenly, the barrage of the troublesome tentacles stopped. At that moment, Albert felt a tremendous aura of magic being built up. The waters around the guardian began to rise swiftly. It reminded Albert of the huge wave he saw in the storm on Inner Sea. A magic of water blast like that wave was about to be unleashed. If it was invoked, they would all probably be crushed under the hyper-pressure of the water. Albert would, again, come to a short end, not being able to save anyone ---

--- I won't let that happened! I won't let anyone die ever again!

The body that was paralysed with fear suddenly shot forth like an arrow. The sword brushed out in a trance sliced horizontally at the root of the tentacles, with a response that he has never felt before until now.

It was not enough to cause any damage. Yet, that single attack caused a brief vacuum in the guardian's concentration. The spell that was about to be unleashed was interrupted, and the wall of waters that have built up collapsed on the spot.

Gray did not let this opportunity go by. Turning the blade of his katana around, he struck squarely between the center of the guardian's eyes with the back of the katana. It was not a slash, but a powerful strike that caused a stupor on the central nerves, dulling the movement of the gigantic body.

Right there, the spell that Dark has been evoking exploded. An Aerology spell that freezes body fluids to affect circulation, Blood Freeze --- has its best effects utilised to the fullest, against the guardian that has no tolerance against such status abnormality, by cutting off the oxygen supply to the brain and putting the guardian into a coma.

"I feel... I... used to be good with magic..."

"TEIIYAAAH!!"

A mighty yell from Sif erased Dark's mumbling. The two-handed sword lunged and rained repeatedly on the flacid, defenceless body. The thick blade sliced the slippery outer skin open, and gouged accurately at the vital spots hidden underneath.

The table has turned around. There was nothing more the guardian could do from this point onwards. Without even allowed the time to awake from the comatose, the life force that seemed to be inexhausible drained under the relentless barrage of the party. The soft body shrivelled as if it melted, and the shell of the Ghost Ship sunk slowly into the waters. Ending its eternal duty, and finally allowed to rest...

"Didn't I said so? Al."

As Albert removed the Aquamarine from the altar, Sif smiled at him.

"I've already recognised you as a dependable man. Who would've left home all the way to this darned warm heck of place if not for so?"

"Sif... I am..."

"Ah---AH! Don't go cryin' if you're a man! Besides, you're gonna get stronger. Don't forget, your ancestor is a Valhal like us!"

"Okay..."

The joy of accomplishing a difficult mission, and the thoughts of being approved by Sif, Albert turned around so that nobody can see his tears and nodded.

"I will become stronger. More, and more --- "

The heart with the childhood dream shattered is now home to a new purpose. There is nowhere to return to anymore. If so, then at least he will be of contribution to the world, as an adventurer. Things that Neidhart who shoulders the heavy responsibilities of a royalty cannot do, he will do it as an unrelated commoner.

The young noble boy has became a adult in a true sense on this day. That powerful will of righteousness will before long guide him to further towards the path of trials --- towards the War of Gods.
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:42

* PART IV - CLAUDIA - THE MOONSTONE OF FORCE *

Stretching south of Melvir, the capital city of the Bafal Empire, covering more than half the surface of the Irea Peninsula in green --- the "Mazewood".

Since the time she was barely born, Claudia grew up in the depths of this forest where no man stays. The person who raised her was Owl the Witch, who served Cyril, the God of the Forest. With her powerful magic, she was the protector of Mazewood, which is a haven for animals, birds and insects, and also at the same time the fearful guardian who punishes those who dare to intrude the holy sanctuary of Cyril.

Owl was not related to Claudia by blood. Claudia knew that fact since the time she gained knowledge, but the witch who dislike humans had never told her why she had took care of Claudia. Claudia had never asked her, and beyond anything, Claudia loved Owl like a mother. Although she was a stern old hag who was strict and unforgiving on imprudent humans who violates the rules of the forest, Claudia, who was born with a strong sensitivity that enabled her to communicate easily with the animals of the forest, could always feel the fathomless love hidden deep within Owl.

Thus, Claudia had not a single interest about her own birthhood. It was impossible that Owl had kidnapped me from my parents by force. Then, definitely, I'm probably just an unwanted baby left at the mouth of the forest, or something like that --- so Claudia had thought. In any case, by now she would not be thinking of meeting her parents, whom faces she did not even know. She had never thought of coming in contact with other humans as well. She always had her friends around her --- Brau, a short-tempered but kind bear, and Sylvan, a wise wolf that had looked after her since she was young. With them and the old hag, she would be fine living on being a guardian of this beautiful forest --- yes, that was what Claudia had thought.

But, on the year that she turned twenty-two, the wheel of destiny started to turn. With the meeting of a man who got lost in the forest.

Jean, a man belonging to the Bafal Empire Royal Guards, was saved by Claudia when he was attacked by monsters. After his expressions changed when she told him that her name was Claudia when he asked, and showing a unusual interest in the ring on her finger on her right hand, which was the only thing that she had been left with from her parents, he left after fervently inviting her to come to Melvir for a visit.

To her surprise, after hearing about it, Owl actually encouraged her to go, citing that she should take a look at the world outside. Claudia herself was not interested, but since Owl had said so and pushed her along, she visits for the first time a human city --- a journey to the city of the millenium empire that used to be the center of Mardias.

At first, Claudia was clearly perplexed by the noisy streets bustling with people, but as she interacted with Jean who welcomed her with plenty of hospitality, an adventurer by the name Gray who was introduced by Jean, and the people who lived on cheerfully even though they are poor, her enclosed heart slowly opened up. It was a solid time for her to learn how to survive in the human society, burying the vacuum that she stayed only in the Mazewood for the past twenty-odd years. It was also a journey for her to realise that she is also just another human, an existance that cannot survive alone.

Claudia finally realised that when Owl, who had called her back to the Mazewood when she knew that she was going to die soon, even though her strong magic had kept her to an old age. As a parting gift from the old witch, to give the girl who, like a child, knew nothing else apart from that of the woods, a chance to grow. For her to understand not by words, but by her own experiences, that she must live on as a human, with interaction with other humans.

And before she took her last breath, Owl revealed to her the secret of her birthhood which was unclear until now. She was actually the daughter of Fel VI, the current emperor of Melvir, and she was the one and only authentic successor to the throne as the emperor had no other offsprings. For that reason, her life was in danger, targeted by the people who were eyeing the throne. The maid-servant, whom Claudia was entrusted to soon after the queen passed away after she gave birth to Claudia, was worried that she would be unable to protect her from the assassins, and begged for help from Owl, who was said to be the witch of the fearful woods. And there, Owl decided that the best way to protect the baby would be to desert her identity as an imperial princess and everything else, and raise her in the seclusion of the Mazewood, which no man would set foot in.

After silently sending off the witch who faded away, leaving only her hat and her staff, Claudia reflected upon the fact that she was loved. Owl was her only mother. The one and only family in this world, who had given her that warmth.

Before this, while she was travelling around revolving Melvir, she had already met Fel VI, her actual father. She had received a direct audience and rewards from him, even though she declined, after resolving an incident caused by a heretic who served Saruin. But thinking of it now, it would probably be a chance that Nevil, the captain of the Royal Guards, who got to know her true identity through Jean, had planned for the unsuspecting Emperor to at least see his daughter. If the truth was made known, Claudia would once again become the target of assasins. On top of that, the vipers eyeing the throne are exactly the ones closest to the Emperor himself. It would almost be certain that any secret reports to Fel VI would be leaked out. Therefore, Nevil, being a loyal subject, decided to create a chance by making use of the complimentary audience as a reunion for the father and daughter, without letting either party know.

While she now know that Fel VI is her father by blood, Claudia did not have any special strong feelings. She was not the least bit interested in the throne of the next emperor or whatsoever, and she thought of it as nothing more than mere trouble instead. She knew that her father was a gentle man without any haughtiness, but she felt that if it was in the nature where the fittest survives, it is nothing more than a weakness that would cost him his life easily. An unconditionally naive belief that everyone is working for the sake of the Empire --- a person that would not have survived if he was not the Emperor, a person too gentle and kind as a ruler; Claudia was able to grasp that essence of her father through the short encounter they had.

Now, she only thought of it as a pity. As an Emperor on his throne, he could not protect even his daughter. If it was not for such a position, they could have lived like an extremely ordinary family --- thinking of that, Claudia realised that twenty-two years had already passed, just like that. A period of unrecoverable time for both of them. She had lived all this while until now not as an imperial princess, but as Owl's daughter, as a guardian of the forest. If it was not for so, she would probably not have survived in this world until now. So, in the time to come, she would still not have any intentions to introduce herself as the Emperor's daughter. To Claudia, Fel VI is the Emperor of the Bafal Empire, but there was not likely to be anything more than that.

Yes, so she had thought.

But, when Nevil informed her that the Emperor was struck down by an unknown ailment, she was rushed with an emotion that she could not even explain herself. A feeling that she wanted to find a cure, even if it means to abandon herself. She vowed silently, at all costs, that with her own hands she would save her father, who is getting weaker day by day, and neither the royal physicians who were well-versed with herbalogy nor the grand priests from the Temple of Elore who are well-versed with healing spells could do anything about it. She could not find any reason apart from the tie of blood between them, which she had thought little about. Yet, she could not leave it at that.

Sophia the grand priestess assessed that it was a strong curse laid by somebody, with the power of chaotic spells as its origin. To counter it, there would be no other means than to obtain the "Moonstone of Force", said to be of an opposite alignment and able to totally negate the power of Chaos. But to seek out the Destiny Stone, which only appears in the legends of Mirsa the Hero, it was thought to be harder than grasping the clouds.

But, the one who is to obtain the stone of fate, is bounded by a mysterious karma. From Captain Hawk, an adventurer who is an ex-pirate (always claiming that it would be until he gets a new ship to replace the one that he lost) who travelled with Claudia some time ago, she received an ancient text which was given to her since he could not read it anyway. And from materials in the Imperial Library in Melvir, she was able to decipher the ancient text, and got to know that the Moonstone was hidden in the "Temple of the Twin Moons" in the tropical island of Walon Isle. And, she also found out that to enter the Temple, the Symbols of Amt, Goddess of the Crimson Moon, and Elith, Goddess of the Silver Moon, would be required.

The Symbol of Amt was given to her promptly by the priest of the Temple of Amt when she visited North Estamir. And when she heard about the whereabouts of the other Symbol, she was affirmed that she carried the fate to save her father by herself. The place deeply rooted to Elith, who do not have a temple of her own, is exactly the forest guarded by Cyril, under the same father Elore --- that is, the place that Claudia grew up in... The Mazewood.

When Claudia hurriedly returned to the sea of trees, she came to know that she always had the blessings of Elith around her all this while. Sylvan, the silver wolf that had watched after her all these years, was the manifestation of the Goddess Elith before humans. After receiving the Symbol from Sylvan, she expressed her deepest gratitude for what she was given all this while, and bade farewell. The girl that I have raised like one of my own along with Owl the Witch, has got involved with the Destiny Stone in order to save her father --- Claudia did not notice the deep sorrow etched on the wolf's face...

Heading towards the Walon Isle, Claudia and her assistants --- Jean, and Patrick, the Finance Minister of the Empire who joined the party for the sake of the Emperor even though being under house arrest, and Dark, who had lost his memories, as well as the Minstrel looking for inspirations for songs --- broke through into into the depths of the thick jungles while bothered by the poisonous tropical insects, and stepped into the pyramid structure that towers in the middle.
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:43

Build with skills that are now lost, the huge temple deifying the two Goddesses housed traps and guardians waiting to keep away intruders who are not worthy of the Destiny Stone. Breaking through them one by one, the party finally came to a confrontation with Zodiac, the creature guarding the Moonstone. The final guardian was a tough match, but the burning loyalty to Fel VI within Jean and Patrick, as well as the unbreakable will of Claudia thinking of her father, repelled the rains of cold gusts controlled by the monster. Zodiac faded away like frost under the morning sun after acknowledging the strength of the challengers, and she successfully obtained the utmost treasure, the moonstone, to counter the chaotic curse.

And on the journey back --- on a ferryboat from Wape, the harbour of Walon, heading towards Melvir, Claudia, who had finally fallen asleep after surpressing the impatient feeling of wanting to bring the Moonstone back as soon as possible, was woke up by a hand shaking her.

Due to being the only female in the party, as well as a strong insistence from Jean, she had a private room of her own. Springing up in surprise, and looking through the darkness which was still far from daybreak, she saw Jean's face.

".... What?"

In response to her genuinely angry look, he shook his open hands and explained in panic.

"Ah, no, no Miss claudia. I am definitely not trying to get fresh in the night... Look, if I tried something like that, I'll probably be slaughtered by Monica before I get assasinated. Please keep quiet..."

"Stop calling me 'Miss'."

Saying that, and sensing that the situation was not simple, she straightened herself and got up with her bow and arrows in hand. The Moonstone lodged into her bracelet was still there, the way it was when she wore it to sleep.

She exited the room under the guidance of Jean. Her partners were already gathered there outside.

"What happened?"

"Not yet, but it's going to happen now," Dark said as he guided the party to the shadows in the passageway.

"If the Emperor's ailment was a plot to assasinate him, the mastermind should definitely target us, since we have obtained the means to neutralize that plot."

"But there weren't any suspicious passengers boarding from Wape, were there?" Patrick voiced his opinion as he stroked his little beard. "I've already kept a lookout for them when we got on board. Didn't lived till this age in vain, you know?"

"You don't know what kind of people the Assassin's Guild is. To achieve their objectives, they can have assassins infiltrated since years back. You lived this age in vain."

As he said so, from the darkness, a few silhouttes appeared and creeped towards Claudia's room. The old travelling merchant, the well-tanned middle-aged island woman, and the young sailor who was definitely part of the crew of this ship. Each carried a shortsword in one hand, and sneaked silently into the room one by one.

If I had been left sleeping like that --- cold sweat ran down her spine as Claudia thought.

"Assassins are fragile when their surprise is lost. I'll be able to neutralize them on my own now. But the captives would never tell who sent them. So what would it be?"

"...I don't like useless killings."

An unexpected gentle sparkle flashed through Dark's eyes as Claudia answered.

"Hmph, that's naive. But it's true that they are also living humans. They are just pitiful tools at the dispense of the Guild. Very well, it shall be as you desire. I'll have them tied up and confined in your room until we get to Melvir tomorrow morning."

And as he said so, Dark shot across the passageway without making a sound, and slipped into the room with a carriage that the earlier lower assassins could not compare to. With three successive muffled cries, Dark's face appeared again and gestured at them.

Jean unintentionally whistled in awe of the skillful display.

"Wonderful! Shouldn't that guy just become an assassin?... Hahaha, just a joke! If the assassins are like him, I'm not confident of protecting you... I have to get Gray to be a bodyguard again --- "

"Wasn't just a guide, is he. Just as I thought."

"Ack!... Haha, pretend you never heard me?... Guess that's not gonna happen..."

"He seems to be regaining some memories again."

Gazing at Dark, the Minstrel murmured to no one in particular.

"I won't know if the memories will bring happiness in the end. But I will compose songs and sing tales so that people will not forget. There's surely going to be more wonderful songs springing from this adventure. So, please, do give me a happy ending."

The final words was clearly spoken to Claudia. Gently stroking the bracelet with the shine of the moonlight, she gave a reassuring nod.

"Definitely... Not by fate, but by my own will."

--- And, even though I still can't introduce myself now, one day I will surely be able to call him father. Imperial throne or whatsoever, just let whoever wants it take it. I just want to heal the loneliness of that man who have no choice but to be the symbol of the Empire.

With a new determination, the forest girl's expression brightened, and clearly enhanced her existing beauty further. She did not know so, but that countenance became exactly like the woman that Fel VI loved --- Claudia's mother, who had passed away. The Emperor would probably be ascertained of it this time, the moment he see his savior turn up with the Moonstone.

But, the thread of Claudia's fate stretches far beyond. Elith, the Goddess of the Moon, knew. That Destiny Stones are something that will mercilessly entwine the fate of the "Chosen Ones"...
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:43

* PART V - JAMIL - THE DEMONIC EMERALD *

In the central-north region of the Inner Sea, a never-ending storm rages throughout the year. That, is a massive magical storm casted to keep intruders away from the area --- And in the middle of that storm, it is said that a powerful sorceror conducts his heretic researches and experiments on a solitary island.

The existance of this "Isle of Evil" was a legend told in words of mouth, told by sailors from generations to generations. Jamil, a city thief born and raised in South Estamir, a city facing the Bogasrul Straits which connects the Inner Sea to the Black Sea in the west, was told the story countless times since the time when he was still a young helpless orphan who could only beg from others for a living. Tales, about how the sinister sorceror would capture people who got lost and strayed there and carry out biological experiments on them repeatedly, scared Dowd, his buddy since that time, shivering till the point of nearly wetting his pants. But Jamil, being quick witted and cautious of everything since young, dismissed it as nothing more than a shady idle gossip.

In any case, there was never anyone who actually set foot on the isle thanks to the storm that raged all year round. At best, there are only sightings of the shadow of an island, standing like a gigantic tree in the sea covered in dark stormy clouds, seen from the decks of ships tossed about by the storm. He thought that it was probably just seawater being drawn into the air by tornadoes, or stuff like that. He stuck his tongue at whoever said that he has seen the sorceror, or the rowdy sailors who tried to scare kids with the tales. Jamil was someone who did not believe in any whimsical gods who gave or punished at their own mood, be it a good god or a vile god. He would not believe in anything except for what he confirms with his own eyes, or the flash of his own instincts.

And now, this Jamil, sets foot on the soil of the Isle of Evil. To seek clues about the ultimate jewel which he had yearned for since that childhood day when he decided that he will only live on as a thief --- the Destiny Stone.

In reality, there was not a clod of earth there. The entire island was a tree on its own. A horrendously gigantic treetop that stemmed from the depths of the sea --- the network of branches intertwined and formed land like a hollowed tower.

The one who piloted them there was a frail old man who loitered at the pier of Yeoville. The old sailor, well in his seventies, was said to be the only survivor that had made it back alive fifty years ago, when the ship he was on drifted to the Isle of Evil as if it was beckoned. Since then, he was plagued with shame towards his friends who were left on the isle, and day after day he seeked the unrevealing shadow of the isle on the other side of the Inner Sea.

At first, Jamil underrated it as fake, but taking compassion on the old man who begged to visit the Isle of Evil just once again in the dusk of his life, as well as considering that this might mean the slim possibility of a bargain at some treasures, he accompanied the old man and set off towards the demonic ocean raging with gales and swirls.

And, the path opened up before them. Taking the bearings relying on the memory of the old man, the violent storm weakened, and the open currents subsided and guided their ship like calm waters. It was a sight that seemed as if the storm avoided them when it sensed their approach. On the other end of the tunnel that emerged from the eternal storm was the splendour of the legendary isle, standing tall into the skies.

On the top of the tower --- in the laboratory drifting with unearthly odours, there was the owner of the isle, Wei Queyin the Sorceror. The moment Jamil saw his eyes, hidden with intellegience and madness, as a city thief who had always been observing the inner side of human beings, he could smell the scent of an evil so absolutely adhered. Wrong, he thought again, that it would not be appropriate to classify that as evil or such. The drive behind Wei Queyin was a desire to surpass human limitations. A cold, scorched passion to abandon the shell of a human, to become an existance even above gods. Before that will, neither morals nor ethics of the human world can surpress it. An existance that is not "evil" on his own, but his life objective itself is a poison to others --- that, is Wei Queyin.

Suspicious at the party that managed to get past the storm meant to kept intruders out, and soon understanding why, a proud expression appeared on the face of the sorceror. Fifty years ago, after setting his eyes on a passing ship in the sea nearby, he casted a storm dispersing magic on the old man, who was part of the crew. The powerful magic remained on the old man like a curse even after he escaped from the isle, and after the decades it brought him back to this place once again. In other words, the old man himself is the key to unlock the storm isolating the Isle of Evil.

Glancing at the objects laid out in the laboratory, the old man let out a muffled moan. Those were his sailing mates, who were captured and had became subjects of experiment for magic. They slept quietly and eternally, looking exactly the same as they were fifty years ago. Forever they will not age, yet they will never wake up too --- an incomplete magic of immortality locked their moment in past, freezing them eternally.

Wei Queyin, whom lived long with his powerful magic and adjusted his own body with cells of monsters to prevent aging, twisted his scaly face and mocked at the old man struck down by his reunion with his mates. Enjoying the tragedy brought about by him, scorning the emotion of the shaken human. To add salt to injury, the vile sorceror told him so. That if you wish to wake them up, just thrust a knife through their heart. Wei Queyin laughed crazily, when he said that the immortal sleep would be broken, just for that one moment of death. Without a single bit of guilt for trampling on the lives of innocent beings.

"You twisted... "

Jamil experienced an unsaid feeling of disgust that he has never felt before, at the wickedness that none of the villains in the crime-rampant South Estamir can come close to matching. But, he surveyed the situation in composure without being swayed by emotions like his accompanying comrades --- such as the Barbara the dancer's rage, or Dowd's fright.

Jamil was sensitively able to tell. That while he lamented the plight of his mates, the old man has already been satisfied, and his soul saved. For the past fifty years, the old carried the sin of having escaped alone and left his mates behind, even though there was nothing he could do about it, and the guilt etched deep into him for as long as he lived. But, his mates, whom he only thought were dead, while it could not be said that it meant bliss for them, they were sleeping on through peaceful dreams. Now ,he alone shall return to the worldly life, and be punished by the time of age. That would be the compensation for his sin of escaping alone.

If that's the case, Jamil decided that it would be pointless to let righteous indignation take over them. He never thought of himself as a ambassador of justice anyway, and he did not intend to lay swords on wickedness or injustice or whatsoever. How to survive, and how to minimize danger to achieve objectives --- that is the only thing Jamil soughts after, with his excellently balanced sense. Especially when he knows that recklessness would only put the lives of his comrades at risk.

When Jamil surpressed his emotions and asked about the whereabouts of the Destiny Stone "Demonic Emerald", Wei Queyin squinted in amusement.

"Oh, you want the Demonic Emerald, do you? Funny, you don't look like one of Saruin's underlings. Do you plan on fighting him yourself? Hahahaha!"

After a round of mocking laughter, the sorceror shook his head.

"But seriously, you can't have it. The Demonic Emerald is indispensable to my work. I don't care if Elore or Saruin sent you--- I won't give it up.

As he said so, suddenly, a circlet with a green gem emitting an eerie shine appeared in his hand.

"So you have it."

"That's right. The magical power of this rock will provide the clues to the way to true immortality. I will become an unperishable lifeform, and in time to come I will become a being that will surpass even Saruin or Elore!"

The smaller eye of the two burned with a strong madness. From there, a thirst for blood set to remove all obstacles to his researches radiated.

"But hey, that's impossible, no?"

Coolly brushing off almost all the demonic aura which had already became physical pressure, Jamil scratched his pointed ear, a characteristic of Kjar blood. Enticed by the parrying attitude, and gaining more interest towards the young pilferer, Wei Queyin eased the killing aura and frowned.

"Impossible? Why should it be. I'm already coming close to realising immortality. When that happens I can leap on to researches of even more powerful magics. The gods don't progress by learning, but I'm different, mind you. You think I can't do it? No, you can't say that."

"Well well, don't get too excited yeah? That will to achieve greater heights is impressive. Even I as a thief should learn from it. But well, there's something we call 'preparations to aim high', yeah?"

"Preparations?"

"Yep! And ain't so much about research on magics. Hmm, how should I put this?... In an analogy that I can use easily, your mode of thinking is like a big thief who is too skillful."

Shouting for joy in his heart that the sorceror is biting on it, Jamil continued without displaying it.

"Such thieves always get overcame by their greed and even though they accumulate loots to a rotting amount, they will still steal again. Well, they are good, so that's pretty inevitable. But eventually, they got caught and that's it. What a waste."

"...."

"Compared to that, petty thieves like me would have more considerations before we go for the jackpot. Ya know, like giving the cops some glitter, and keep'em occupied. Get what I mean? The cop here is Saruin. If the fella wakes up before you get to become a sorceror that surpasses gods, all's popped like bubbles, yeah? So as a bribe for silencing the fella, just lent us that Emerald for a liiiittle while. You'll still gonna be alive and kicking anyway, and if you need it again you can get it back from us after we wrap Saruin up, can't you?"

"Hmph.... What a glib tongue."

Of course, a Wei Queyin strongly suspicious of Jamil is not going to be swayed by a few sweet talk like that.

But it was true fact that even the self-confident, self-centered sorceror has his own fears too. Since a millenium ago, Saruin, who was sealed up by Mirsa the Hero, had been breeding his hatred incessantly within the magical barrier underground, and is trying to break out of the prison thought to be eternal. On top of that, he had seen how the three Minions, manifested by the power of darkness that had leaked out, is actively working underground within the darkness towards the ressurection of their master. It seemed that Saruin is going to break out onto the surface a lot earlier than the future that Wei Queyin had expected. If the world gets destroyed before he gained sufficient powers, he would not be able to do anything as a great sorceror aiming to surpass gods.

... Besides, who the heck are these people?

While thinking about Jamil's proposal, Wei Queyin secretly scanned the five adventurers again.

Except for the young chap that couldn't hide his fear, it's a gang that would take a lot of trouble to defeat if a fight breaks out. Apart from feeling the unfathomable talents of Jamil under his nonchalant outlook, that thing around that dancer Barbara's neck is by no mistake a Destiny Stone --- "Amethyst of Illusions", the opposite of the Emerald. Before that stone of fate, all the Demonology spells that is he forte would be negated totally.

Also, he could not see through the rest of the party as well. The masked man by the name Dark looked weird, and he could see his blurred spirit when he switched his vision to his demonic eye. It seemed quite like there are two spirits residing within one body. One of an iron will that would wager his life to accomplish his mission, and one that hides a talent for magic so great that even Wei Queyin would find fearful. It would be clear that he is not simply just another nobody.

And, as the lastly notable one, the Minstrel gave him an immense pressure that he could not describe. Wei Queyin could not ascertain of it as he looked at the face buried to the eyes, underneath the large hat. As if being drawn into the pair of eyes, where a quiet light resides, and when he realised it, his palms were breaking out in cold sweat and his scaly skin stood up in goosebumps. These unerasable uneasiness finally swayed the avarice cunning sorceror. Jamil's words, for the time being, gave him a chance to preserve his dignity.

"Fine. I'll let you keep the Demonic Emerald for the time being!"

"The master of the Isle of Evil indeed, a great one who is understanding!"

Sticking out his tongue in his heart, the thief took with his hands the Destiny Stone without having to battle.

"I can't understand this. Don't you want to do something about that cruel bastard!?"

Barbara raved on in anger, on the ship heading back. As the storm-repelling old man was still with them, only for now the surroundings of the Isle of Evil is clear of clouds. Gazing at the beautiful evening sun setting into the horizon, Jamil held the Emerald up through the light.

"Man, don't get yourself so agitated. Everyone including the geezer are all safe and sound, and we came back in one piece from that huge-ass island. Avoid dangers that can be avoided --- that's a basic, no?"

"That's of course, but..."

"I was really so scared..." Dowd said, as if to agree with his buddy.

"Never expected that I actually got to meet that vile mage on that Isle of Evil that scared us since I was a kid... Hey Jamil, I wanna get back to South Estamir. I still think that I'm more comfortable there, a place that I'm used to."

"Didn't I said 'no'?"

Jamil stared at Dowd with his large eyes and long eyelashes.

"It might be comfortable, but that place would never be our paradise. If we don't fight, we'll forever be just dirt on that street. Besides, I said it'd be best for you to hang around me."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Come on. You'll be easily conned if you are left alone. I'm worried that Farah would get involved in stuff when I'm not around too. So man, stay with me. I won't ask you to stay till we fight Saruin --- "

Jamil fell silent suddenly as he said that.

The stone sparkling under the golden rays of the setting sun --- the treasure that he had dreamt after since the time he was a boy, is now within his hands. The exhilaration was weighed down by the heavy pressure of the responsibility that came along with it. At the moment Wei Queyin handed him the Demonic Emerald, he realised perfectly that him, a mere thief, will become involved with what should have been the heroes have to bear ---

The battle with Saruin.
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:45

* PART VI - AISHA - THE TOPAZ OF EARTH *

"So we aren't humans..."

The soft murmur of the young girl was monotonous ir order to conceal her sadness. But it made her comrades felt Aisha's loneliness all the stronger.

The Tarals, people of the grasslands --- leading a nomadic life almost unchanged since history in the Drylands in the northern area of the North Bafal continent, laced with remaining structures of ancient civilisation here and there --- in a true meaning, strictly speaking, are not "Humans".

Humans are beings that were created to occupy this land, when this world of Mardias died during the ancient War of the Gods and later revived by Elore, the God of Light, Father of the New Gods. As such, Humans were also called "Children of Elore".

There is no difference in appearance between Tarals and Humans. Yet, they are a far older race of people --- roaming the land of Mardias along with Giants and Dragons, from before the war started between Saiva the Goddess of Destruction with Marda the Creator as well as others gods whose names are no longer remembered --- they were the descendants of the ancient people. They were created by the Mother Goddess Nieca, and their ancestors existed even way before Elore was born out of the little finger of Saiva.

During the turbulent times during the peak of the war between the gods, they heeded Nieca's advice and escaped into the underground world. As the goddess - who is like a loving mother - detests fighting, she did not give any fighting powers to the humans, who were supposed to be her tools. On the surface world, battles raged between giants who were like small mountains, ancient dragons far more powerful than any dragons left alive today fall each other for the dominance of the skies, and the kings and lords of the demons fought each other to the death with their fearsome magic. A catastrophic war that witnessed mountain ranges shaved, seas boiled over, skies sliced apart --- yet that was nothing more than just a prelude to the War of the Gods. When a full-scale war broke out between the ancient gods led by Marda and Saiva, the Goddess yearning for the destruction of all, even Immortals were blown off and scattered away. Powers strong enough to annihilate the lands lunged through the world countless times, and creatures on the lands that were nothing more than pawns of the gods perished in despair.

While Saiva the Goddess of Destruction alone was powerful enough to take on all the other gods together, it was not easy to put a conclusive end to the battle as they were all imperishable beings by nature. To break up the stalemate, she devised a strategy to give birth to a new god to become her ally. If Saiva gave him some of her powers, the god that is to be her son would be able to end this War of Gods in a breath. And as she so decided, she channelled her magic, which flowed to her hurting little finger, and a new god was born. Enshrouded in a brilliant light, a splendid god who possesses powers greater than any other gods --- Elore, was born.

Indeed, as his mother had intended, Elore was the trump card that ended the battle. But, the victory went to Marda instead of Saiva. The mistake that she had made was that her last remaining conscience resided in her little finger, and Elore, being born from there, became a benevolent god. The powerful Goddess of Destruction was defeated, her body scattered, and the long arduous war finally came to an end.

However, there was already nothing left on the earth by that time. Animals were wiped out, and the lands were so barren that no plants could flourish. The few surviving Giants turned their backs to the gods and faded into the deep mountains with hatred and resignation in their hearts. A world dead and abandoned --- there is no one left there who would look up to the gods. Beings that would inject a "power" called "Faith" ceased to exist anywhere in the world. Saiva desired destruction and oblivion, but the cruel ways that the gods fought without any regards for any living creatures roaming Mardias were no different. All existance apart from the gods were recognised as nothing more than mere tools. Even the huge, powerful elder dragons can be said to be considered as nothing more than well-sharpened javelins.

In a world that all tools were destroyed, the gods lost their interest. They did not think of options such as taking the time to rebuild it. If they had to do that, they would rather find another world brimming with life, and they could just descend there as gods. And so, including Marda, most of the gods left Mardias.

The only ones who stayed behind were Nieca, the incarnation of the earth, and Elore, the one who became the new supreme god. Nieca became Elore's wife, and began their uphill task of reviving the world. With the birth of Cyril, God of the Forest, and Yucomb, God of the Seas, as well as Elith, the Goddess of the Moon and Beasts, with their help, the world was filled with the breath of life again as new plants and animals were created.

When the Ancients --- children of Nieca who survived and lived on under the ground --- returned to the completely differently revived world of Mardias, it was many months and years after the War of the Gods. After the brief moment of overjoy of being able to walk on the surface once again, they were stunned at the realisation that it was no longer the same world that they once knew. Be it the plants or the animals, they were completely different from what they knew. Even the shape of the mother earth has changed, and the faces passed down from their ancestors no longer exist anywhere.

Even between them and the humans that have started to increase in numbers, there are some differences somewhere. Both Nieca and Elore had created humans in the images of the gods, and Elore had created humans using the children of Nieca who were the original inhabitants as examples. However, figurines made by hardening chips of wood and figurines made by drying clay will never be the same no matter how much they look alike. Being born out of a different creator, they were naturally existances that would not come together.

The Surface is no longer where we should be --- most of the Ancients who had thought so returned to the Undergrounds, the shelter that they have took refuge all this while until now. They chose a path to lived on within the wombs of the Mother Earth Nieca, severing ties with the surface world that have completely changed.

Yet, there were some who yearned to be living naturally like humans, under the grace of the sun. They parted their ways with their people, and lived along with the new animals, within a grassland in a dry region that resembled the environment of the world of the past. From there, their descendants lived on with a unique lifestyle, and were known as the Tarals, Nomads of the Steppes of Galessa.

And this secret of the tribe was not known to Aisha, a girl whom tinges of adolosence still remained. Because of her innocence, she left her unsociable village out of her curiousity, and came into contact with many people throughout her journey. Soon after she was being saved from a monster, she was brought to a modern city, and was shown for the first time to the spread of the world by Neidhart, the Crown Prince of Rosalia. When she was taken by kidnappers and brought to be sold by the slave merchant in South Estamir, it was Jamil the thief who helped her. The pleasant travelling dancer Barbara took care of her closely on their journey, and it might be the close proximity of her age with Albert, a Rosalian noble, that opened up her heart and bridged up the gap that she had felt in the life she had used to lead. When Sif, a female warrior from the Valhals, took Aisha to ride on her shoulders, memories of the days when she rode on the back of her pony back in her now distant birthplace. Aisha liked all the people whom she have met. She thought that there were somewhere that she could not hate even towards Wuhan, the Lee of Kjaraht, who had bought her from the slave merchant. She felt that it was really a blessing that she went on a journey and got to know so many people.

But, at the place that they have finally reached, trailing the whereabouts of her missing tribe --- a small gathering at an underground lake which existed beneath the floors of a worn-out ancient ruins, swallowed under the quicksands of the Kakhlum Desert --- when the truth was confessed from the mouth of Nizam, her grandfather and chief of the tribe, she could not conceal her trembling. As if being suddenly hit, her head numbed from the shock, Aisha could only think blankly.

--- I am different from Sir Neidhart and Al. I'm not a human like they are, but like a monster like goblins and such? Surely, they wouldn't be friendly with me like before anymore... "I'm sorry, Aisha... I should have told you earlier on. At least, before you went off on your journey ---"

While the irony of the joy of their reunion and the sadness stirred and hurt him in his heart, he ruefully stroked his beloved granddaughter's red hair. Then he turned to look at one of her companion who had watched over her. A person who, under any circumstances, should not be brought to this place --- the "Kayakith Lebita (Black Devil)", Karl August Neidhart.

Since the establishment of the Rosalia Kingdom, they have maintained a friendly relationship with the Tarals. That relationship had remained the same until now, but Neidhart, being the next King and is in reality the one who commands the highest authority now, did not conceal his ambition to enlarge the Rosalian territory even to the nomads on the grasslands. In fear of the image of the Crown Prince, appearing in the Steppes of Galessa occasionally to clean up wandering monsters, straddling a black stallion and donned in a black armor, the Tarals called him Kayakith Lebita. As the right-wing extremist of the Children of Elore, who would probably one day come to rob them of their autonomy.

In actual fact, before they made preparations for Saruin's resurrection and abandoned their village to take refuge here in this place, Neidhart had came to propose to take the Tarals under the protection of the Rosalian Kingdom. Conditions in details were not worked out, but Nizam had interpreted that to be the same as an unconditional vassalage. Considering that military force might be applied if he turned it down, he pledged his allegiance, but to them as the Children of Nieca, belonging to any kingdoms is not a consideration at all.

The important issue was not about independence. The issue was that under the policy of the Kingdom, the Tarals would be forced to be dispersed or marry between other tribes. In order to preserve their pure bloodline, they would have to leave the Steppes where they are used to living in, and escape to somewhere that the dominance of Rosalia would not reach. Yet, if this was made known, that the Tarals are not Children of Elore --- they could be expulsed, being non-humans.

As such, when Nizam informed them that they would hide in the elusive town at the underground lake in preparations for Saruin's resurrection, to the Tarals, it was also a perfect chance to keep a distance with Rosalia. Except that Aisha went missing.

In order to cover up the truth behind the missing Tarals, they could not even leave a letter in the abandoned village. It was possible to leave a note using their ancient language, but unfortunately Aisha was a girl who had more interest in horse-riding than studying. Not being able to delay their departure as he did not known when his granddaughter would return, as the chief of the tribe who have to consider their safety, Nizam ordered the exodus to start. He believe that Aisha would definitely find her way to the sanctuary of Nieca on her own.

It would be quite impossible for Aisha to make it through the desert and the dangerous underground ruins alone. So Nizam had thought that it would be alright for her trusted companions to come to know about this town at this underground lake. But it was really out of his expectations that Prince Neidhart would be within the party.

Since things have came to this point, there is no longer at meaning in trying to smooth things over. Nizam, having resigned to fate, told his granddaughter whatever that has been kept from her all this while, right before her comrades including Neidhart.

"Kayakith Lebita. As you have now heard, we, the Tarals, are not the Children of Elore which you call "Humans", but people passnig on the bloodline of the ancient people created by Nieca, Goddess of the Earth. That was why we have kept our bloods pure of people of other races and lived on till today belonging not to any kingdoms. But now that this secret has been brought under the light before you, who would eventually become the king of Rosalia, we will no longer return to the Steppes of Galessa. Please, do let us have nothing to do with your kingdom and carry on our lives in this bottom of the earth?"

Neidhart closed his eyes and thought for a while, then opened his green eyes and replied.

"That will not do."

Nizam's shoulders sank at the cruel reply. Aisha, in her grandfather's arms, turned to look at Neidhart with tears welling in her large eyes. Now that he knew that I wasn't a normal human, I'm only an existance useless to His Highness --- so her heart ached.

But, the eyes of Neidhart looking at Aisha were gentle. And he continued his words.

"You are the people of the grasslands, so why should you live in this underground where the sunlight will never reach? I do not intend to allow the people of Rosalia to live in a manner twisted from how it should be."

"!! ... Your Highness, you mean..."
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:45

"All people staying in the Dry Lands shall see no differences under the protection of Rosalia. All can feast and laugh in the same way, tears need not be held back in times of sadness, and be joyful as the heart wishes during times of happiness. The Kayakith Lebita shall watch over all people in his dominion in the same way. You, the Tarals, shall live on in the same way in the Steppes of Galessa, as you have did until now."

Neidhart smiled.

"However, if Saruin is resurrected, we do not know how Rosalia would become. Therefore, before everything ends, you shall stay in this place and pray for the victory of those chosen by the Destiny Stones."

"Ahh....!"

Nizam was lost for words, and tears rolled down her cheeks as Aisha fluttered her eyes. Neidhart was indeed the person that she had thought him to be. The black knight that had came to rescue her from afar when she was attacked by a monster that fateful day, is still watching over Aisha with unchanged eyes even now. Her unexpressable loneliness were all healed by these gentle eyes.

"Aisha. Don't go anywhere anymore. Stay here and wait till this war ends."

"Grandpa..."

Aisha hugged her grandfather, but softly shook her head.

"I can hear Nieca's voice. That I have to be chosen too. To be destroyed by Saruin, or to fight with the Destiny Stones... If that is the case, I wish to chose on my own the path to fight. Even if we can live on here, all the people outside would die. I'd totally hate that."

"... I see. So looks like you have already made up your mind."

Tightening his embrace on his granddaughter only for a moment, Nizam tore his arms away with his will.

"Go then. As a warrior of Nieca, go and fulfill that task."

"Yeah. Thank you, grandpa. I have to go now, seems that the Goddess is waiting for me. Bye bye."

Recovering from her sadness, the girl from the grasslands sprung up lively and started walking towards the divine sanctuary that lies beyond the town of the lake --- the underground temple of Nieca. As Nizam watched the little back view go off, he thought about the cruel fate that would await his granddaughter, who would be entrusted with the Destiny Stone "Topaz of Earth". Why is it that Aisha alone, still a young girl, have to bear the responsibilities of the Ancients who have survived on without fighting? Suppressing the feelings of urge to curse the fate laid by the divine, the old man whispered words of prayers repeatedly. TOANIOTO Nieca, TOANIOTO Elore....

The Minstrel taking the rear of the party shifted his apologetic eyes from the old chief. The quiet tunes that he weaved echoed in the space of the undergrounds, as if to sooth the sorrows of the one left behind.

"Here, I'm returning this to you."

Neidhart, following behind Aisha, passed a blue glimmering object to Albert, who was serving near and impressed with the forbearance of his future king. Accepting it in a flustered manner, he gasped.

"Your Highness! This... Isn't this the "Aquamarine of Water"!?"

"As you see it. Something that you have retrieved and presented to me, but it seems that Destiny Stones are not a treasure that one hold in that way."

Having wished to unite the world of Mardias, he had intended to exalt the authority of Rosalia by making use of the legendary treasure that has been passed down since the establishment of the kingdom, but a prudent Neidhart had realised it now. That the purpose of the Destiny Stone lies not in that way. This is a power that is for the purpose of fighting gods. If it was used out of that purpose, it will cause chaos in the world and beckon only destruction. Just like the Empire going the downhill path of the evening sunset, who once held two of the Destiny Stones and depended on their powers...

And, Neidhart understood too, that he was not chosen as a hero who holds the fate of the world. He, as the Crown Prince of Rosalia, is a warrior who will not hesitate to fulfill his duty to carry his weapon to fight Saruin, a god who yearns for destruction and massacre, should he gets resurrected. He is also a fighter powerful enough to take to the top ranks in any one-on-one battles in the world of Mardias, and would not think of leaving fate in the hands of others --- Despite all these, Neidhart knew that people who were not drawn to the Destiny Stones will not be able to fulfill that role.

Just like Aisha who was called to the Topaz, the one chosen by the Aquamarine was Albert, who had retrieved it from the darkness and depths of the bottom of the lake. To the orphan of the deceased Rudolph, the Lord of Isthmus --- to the young man who was still immatured compared to him, Neidhart has decided to entrust everything, including the future of the Kingdom. With the discoveries of few but certain sightings of Diana, at the end of this journey with Albert, he will return to the work and duties that only he can perform. Trusting that the world would be saved, and ascertaining from there the role that Rosalia should play --- that, was the path shown to Neidhart the Crown Prince.

"Albert. I, Neidhart, is entrusting everything including my future to you. Do become a hero worthy as the descendant of Rudolph, and lived with pride held high. And you must return. Diana will surely return too."

"... Yes, Your Highness. Definitely ---"

The responsibilities given was heavy, and the path is treacherous. Yet Albert's heart was filled with the joy of being acknowledged by Neidhart. And also for the sake of a reunion with his lost sister, the Evil God Saruin must be prevented from being resurrected. Deep within the chest of the young man, the fragment of true courage, which only one that has knew and risen from hardships possess, glimmers. As if in response to the spiritual light of the fateful stone, the Aquamarine ---

Dark, one of the companions of the party, felt an awakening of mysterious feeling as he continued deeper into the deep world of the undergrounds.

A very, very long time --- a memory of spending a faded, forgotten long period of time that seemed to have lasted several lifetimes tied uplike a prisoner. Dark recalled that this underground world resembled that prison. Covered by a melancholic ceiling, a space cut off from the surface --- but, this is not the place. Much further, endlessly deep, he used to be in a place that one will never find any peace.

The ruler of that place holds absolute powers, and fragments of words through countless clashes revived.

"Abandon your thoughts of ... You shall be forgiven if you do that. The tainted ... would be cleansed, and return to the surface as a new life --- "

"NO WAY!"

Dark shouted out suddenly. Only the memories of resigning to an eternal torture turning pardon away endlessly gouged raw through his mind.

"I can do nothing except to think. So, I will never forget!"

What was it that he did not forget, Dark cannot remember now. And that was his sadness.

The drops of tears that spilled drew circles of ripples on the surface of the underground lake...
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:46

* PART VII - HAWK - THE OPAL OF WIND *

Within one of the countless isles laid on the Coral Sea, there lies a hidden base for the pirates, the Pirate Coast.

Being outlaws, they were naturally kept out of many ports, and this hidden harbour which lies beyond a labyrinth of caverns is where they could repair repair their ships, trade their plunder and to stock up on food and weapons necessary for their voyages. The rampant piracy within the Coral Sea, where the sea trading are a pillar of economy for the Bafal Empire, gave them a major headache. Throughout the millenium of history, countless navies of punitive forces had been despatched to attempt to vanquish this annoying stronghold of the plunderers, yet they could never find it.

Of the numerous stories of failed pirate suppressions, especially famous was a tale about the Bafal Emperor and the Destiny Stone "Opal of Wind". The Emperor, who was exasperated at the heavy blows on the income of the trade dealt by a pirate, brought along with him the secret stone Opal that was passed down within the imperial family, and went on the vanquish subjugation personally. But the pirate, who was familiar with the entire Coral Sea, led the huge fleet of imperial navy on an endless wild goose chase, caused them to get lost among the shadows of the islands, and left them stranded in the shallows on an ebb tide. By the time they realised it, the huge fleet had been scattered, and the flagship that the Emperor was on could not continue sailing as they had ran out of food and water. Eventually, the imperial navy suffered a major defeat as the hungry and tired ships were taken out individually. And all these are the works of just but one single pirate ship. The Emperor was captured, and ended up in a plight to give up the Opal in exchange to spare his life.

The name of this daring and resourceful pirate was said to be "Silver". There were many different sayings about what kind of person this pirate was, and it remained unclear. The Bafal Empire, in an attempt to erase the dishonorable fact that the Emperor was abducted, were active in claiming that the story was made up. There were also exaggerated stories, such as Silver whom the skillfully-trained Emperor lost to was a man so huge that he could be mistakened as an ogre, or that Silver was not a pirate but a sorceror using treacherous spells, proliferated in an attempt to preserve the dignity of the side of the loser.

At any rate, among the pirates of the Pirate Coast, when the "Legendary Pirate" was mentioned, it meant "Silver". Before this name, any bad names or martial stories will dull.

There was also another reason why the pirates would not forget the legends of Silver. It was due to a saying that Silver had hidden numerous treasures, including with the Opal, somewhere on the tropical isle of Walon. The treasures of the Great Pirate who led even the Emperor of Bafal by the nose --- That was a tinkle that will attract anyone who is a pirate. On top of that, there was not a single person who manage to find any clues alone. Because of that, there was a time when there were numerous pirates, who are still driven by greed now, to attempt to visit the Walon Isle. As a result, a vigilante force had to look after the port of Wape, the doorway of the isle from the side of the Coral Sea, around the clock without any break to keep the outlaws out.

And finally, the ones who would inherit these treasures of Silver has appeared. A pirate who dares to challenge Saruin, shouldering the fate that would eventually take him beyond the legends of Silver, and his comrades ---

"Let's get this started!"

From the entrance well disguised in the inner depths of the jungle, a massive cavern that led deep underground --- there, within the huge dome-shaped space in the deepest end of the caverns, the roar of Captain Hawk echoed. As if in encourage, the ultra-fast tune played by the Minstrel reverberated with magic. It was an enchanted song that greatly amplifies the prowess of his comrades.

With an incredible speed and footwork that covered distances in a blink of the eye, from the front, back, left, right, top, bottom, the rapier of Captain Hawk slashed freely at the silvery scales like a Kaleidoscope. Following immediately, the pierces from the spear of Guella=Ha, a lizard-man from a tribe known as the Geckos, native of the Walon Isle, who is a right-hand man of Hawk the pirate, gouged with the accuracy of an Acupuncture on the wounds that have lost their armored protection.

"Here I come!"

A beautiful Rosalian-styled female knight yelled with a heroic drive, and slashed hard with all her might. The short range of the shortsword was compensated by a fearless heart, and double-slashed across the gigantic body targeted by the blade with a force threatening to split it up. It was a swordskill perfected by Diana, the daughter of the Lord of Isthmus, who had trained no less than other men since she was young.

And before the trail of the white flashes could fade, a radiant ball of flames engulfed the enemy. Within the magical barriers, an tremendous flash and intense heat exploded, charring the surface of the flesh as well as dealing damage on the central nervous system from the vision, a powerful synthesized Pyrology spell --- Crimson Flare. This strongest attacking spell invoked by Dark whittled at the remaining endurance of the powerful guardian.

Along with a final cry, the gigantic silver body fell. The powerful Silver Dragon who had watched after the most valuable of the treasures --- the Opal of Wind --- had ascertained the ones who have the rights to hold it, and faded in a gust of silver smoke.

No, it did not perish. In place of that, a cherubic, teenage-looking girl who look even younger than Diana appeared. However, with her bold and defiant look, an atmosphere telling that she is more than just a little girl drifted.

"Hey ya, thanks!"

Approaching a dumbfounded Hawk, the girl winked and laughed.

"I'm finally free of the Destiny Stone. As with the promises exchanged with Elore, without restraining my powers. I've lost fair and square, and now I shall do as I please. Thanks to ya, I can go back to being a pirate again!"

"Hey, don't tell me..."

"Is this lady the Silver Dragon earlier on? No, or rather..."

Taking over Hawk, who was at a loss for words, Guella=Ha asked in a fluent common tongue rare among the Geckos.

"By any chance might this lady be, Captain Silver?"

"Yep. I was originally a Dragon, but I asked Elore to turn me into a Human."

"I see. So that was what it meant when the saying goes that you had Elore 'turned you into a pirate'. I understand now."

"You're pretty polite for a Gecko. I guess times have changed, huh?"

Laughing in a clatter, Silver the Pirate shifted her sight back to Hawk, leader of the group.

"Judging from your appearance, you look like a pirate. And one with a spirit at that, too. I'm leaving the Destiny Stone to ya, ok?"

"Ah, oh. Yeah."

"I'm missing the Pirate Coast, so I'll be returning there for now. If you need my help, feel free to come find me at that port. But I'm the boss and you are the bossee, see? If you get that straight, I don't mind joining ya!"

Before she left, Silver looked on for a few seconds with a deep, meaningful gaze at the Mistrel, who kept his face down. Then, she waved a hand and cheerfully bade the party farewell. And all that was remaining was only the white stone emitting an immense shine sitting on the altar.

Hawk, who was still dumbfounded at the true character of the Legendary Great Pirate, suddenly burst out laughing heartily.

"Uwahahahahaha, as one would expect of the great senior! Look at that attitude! Say Guella=Ha, how 'bout we crush that Saruin up with that kinda spirit?"

"Aye, Captain. Saruin might have been the father who taught us Geckos how to stand, but please don't pull your punches!"

"I'd like to be returning to the mainland already, how about the rest of you?"

Diana asked. She had came to this remote isle in search for Albert, her separated brother, and having heard from Dark and the Minstrel, whom he had somehow got together on adventures with, that her brother is still well and alive, she looked much cheerful than before.

"Sounds fine. Now that we've got the Destiny Stone already, we might as well head back to the city for more information or something. If we're heading for Rosalia, let's see... we should be taking the ferry from the port of Godongo to North Point?"

And as he said so, Hawk made a face and yanked on his beard.

"Gaaaaah, pathetic! A pirate who earn his keeps on the seas have to lose his ship and become a passenger on the damn regular courses! Can't we use the treasures we got this time for the building Lady Luck II? It's about time, ain't it?"

"I'm afraid it's not quite enough, Captain."

In contrast to the pair of heartbroken pirates hanging their heads, Diana, who had decided to head to Crystal City for now, is beginning to become more lively like a blooming, flowering bud. There, in the imperial city, is her betrothed Crown Prince Neidhart. Now that Isthmus had fallen, she, who is also a royal subject at the same time, did not think about whether the engagement is still valid or whatsoever. But even so, her heart accelerated when she thought of Neidhart. It could be that hearing news about her brother had lifted the shackles that had been caging her heart --- the shyness of a maiden's tender emotions had brought out the feminine charm of Diana, who was already a beauty to begin with.

Witnessing such an abrupt change, Dark's heart was jolted.

There was someone whom I loved too. It was a love that can never be told. That person had an important mission to carry out, and I'll never be allowed to confess my feelings to that person. And that person is no longer in this world.

Suddenly, a feeling of inconsistency came over Dark's heart. Who really am I? This man by the name Dark --- a human this well-versed in the arts of assassination, how could it be possible for such love to exist? Or could all these memories of love are all only a deception born out of delusion?

In Dark's head, the image of Silver as a teenage girl and the Silver Dragon overlapped. Even more, the two endlessly contradicting memories within him piled together. Silver with a transient appearance, and himself with a transient memory. Where exactly does the truth lies? If those emotions are but just a untrue fabrication, then I...

Stealing a troubled glance at the lost child of a trembling soul, the heart of the Minstrel ached. A soul that should have been raised to the skies is now right here. A soul with all the rights to be saved, a soul that should not have been left unsaved, why was this soul overlooked? ---

That was his fault without a single doubt. Left neglected in suffering amounting to an endless time, it was an unforgivable mistake.

--- And a mistake must be corrected.

At this point, deep in his heart, the Minstrel made up his mind. Surely so, even if something would be lost.
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:46

* PART VIII - SIF - THE RUBY OF FIRE *

"Not gonna work!"

Under Sif's warcry as she tore through the raging flames, the flame demon Ifrit, disguised as Theodore - "Sword of the Order" - and led the Knight's Dominion in confusion, is in a dismayed panic.

Just moments before he was going to succeed in falling the tower town Weiserheim and lay his hands on the Destiny Stone "Ruby of Fire" which Flammar the Mage of Flames is protecting, those pesky humans had arrived along with the real Theodore whom they have rescued. And the magic that he, as a manifestation of fire, unleashed with killing menace, the Bird of Fire --- the fiendish infernal flames that could swallow all, dispersed easily before them. Whether he had shown his true form as one who controlled the mode of fire or not, they had protected themselves beforehand with Self Burning, a shielding spell that completely neutralizes any flame-based attacks.

"Damn you, vixen! The dogs had you covered with spells of fire!?"

"You're the only lackey fer Saruin here! Quit ya damn whining and come straight. Like this!!"

The well-built muscles on Sif's arms bulged as she gathered her strength. Easily swinging up a huge sword as tall as a man with both her hands, she leaped and lunged downwards like an avalanche with all her body and soul. "Vandalize", a master sword tech born of a line of swordsmanship with no hesitations.

--- What a fool!

Under the iron mask, a gleeful expression appeared on the face of Ifrit as Sif came directly at him. This demon, a manifestation of fusion between metal and flames, is covered with a magical barrier that carried the same effects of the Self Burning spell that the party had used. Any careless direct attacks would only result in it being repelled before it can do any damage, and reacting energy generated, matching the force of the attack, would be returned to the attacker. So while the ferocity of the blade coming at him chilled his spine, the flame demon laughed as Sif is digging her own grave.

However, that expression of smirk soon turned into one of terror. Just moments before the powerful sword hits, a spell unleashed from Dark hit Ifrit, and the barrier of fire was dispersed completely in a blink of the eye. A powerful synthesized spell - Shield Breaker, had nullified the magical power.

The powerful slash, carrying the rage of Sif, scored a clean hit on the body of Ifrit, completely defenceless due to his total confidence in the protection. It was an impact strong enough to stun even Ifrit, who have no sense of pain. Ifrit, who given a place in this plot by the Minion due to his ferocity, felt fear for the first time. These people fighting him now are different from the weak, foolish humans who were supposed to be inferior compared to the demons --- by the time he realised this, it was already too late.

His body, unable to move as if it was paralysed, was strucked with an arrow so fast that his vision could not catch. It was the impact of the shot that told Ifrit that he have been hit. Two shots, three shots, four shots... an endless array of multiple shots of arrows followed. His hatred towards the lady archer in green --- Claudia --- turned into pleading in no time. Stop there. I can't take anymore shots. I'll forgive your imprudence so stop there. The confused tracks of thoughts spanned in the moment escaped his throat in a meaningless shriek. And in that mouth, the last of the ten multi-shots landed mercilessly.

"The strength of knights will never yield to you despicable demons!"

Raphael, the knight who followed along with them to rescue Theodore, who is also his father-in-law, lunged and cut into the front of Ifrit, and the strike of his longsword visited there. Following immediately, the Minstrel struck accurately at the same spot with the same move. Tried as he might to retaliate, there was nothing that Ifrit, whose fighting powers are based almost completely on fire, could do to turn the tide.

Under the relentless assault, the huge body of the flame demon soon collapsed in a mess. A gust of flames burst fiercely for a brief moment as a death cry, and the next moment all that was left of the destroyed Ifrit was a charred mark on the earth.

On the barren lands surrounding Weiserheim, joyous cheers of the knights resounded. The Order of the Knights, under the crisis of a split caused by servants of Saruin, before the courage and justice displayed by Sif and the party, once again retrieved the pride and honour as successors of Mirsa the Silver Warrior.

"Unlike that time when you turned down the title as the Honorary Knight, you are not going to turn this down, are you?"

Flammar, master of the tower, asked as she held out the "Ruby of Fire" towards Sif, who displayed sufficient capacity as the one to challenge Saruin.

"Nah. I'll gladly use it."

Taking the Ruby, Sif pounded on her chest covered with muscles.

"But doesn't mean I'm succumbin' to fate. I'm fighting Saruin cos' I decided that myself. Ya alright with that?"

"Stubborn Valhallan warrior... Alright, you win."

The sorceress, who had taken care of the Destiny Stone for more than a century, who was known to be so strict that she would not tolerate any talking back, laughed as she gave up at the principles of Sif, stronger than that of her own.

Bounded by neither name nor fate, the largehearted way of life of Sif, the female warrior from the borderland of Valhalland, helped Claudia, an imperial princess, to seek out her way of life once again. And, Dark ---

Dark was confused, by the memories of an assasin that had rushed out again. Those days that he had to fight for survival by defeating other rivals with the same plight since the childhood days that he was kidnapped. It was just like a breeding cage created to choose the strongest poisonous insect. Competitions of scorpions and spiders pressed to bite on one another, and the last remaining would be put against the last remaining of other cages, and endless hell --- the power he had accumulated as he threaded through victory was eventually enough for him to escape from there. Yet, he chose only to stay there. Ditching on his own accord the freedom to fly away, he seeked the path murky with blood. He was raised the way he was wanted to be.

Pondering upon the other set of memory which was completely different, yet similarly with a past without peace, Dark questioned himself.

"Did I live like Sif? And, can I live like Sif?"
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:47

* PART IX - BLACK DIAMOND OF DARKNESS, DIAMOND OF LIGHT *

BLACK DIAMOND OF DARKNESS

With the guidance of Marlynn, a nymph who is the daughter of Yucomb, the party consisting of Hawk the Pirate, Barbara, Gray, Claudia and the Minstrel headed towards the Underwater Temple of Yucomb hidden beneath the depths of the Black Sea. There, lies the forbidden Destiny Stone with the ability to surpress the power of Light, and thus should never fall into the hands of Saruin's underlings --- the "Black Diamond of Darkness".

Defeating the Minion "Strife" that had attacked them in an attempt to rob them of the Black Diamond, the party returned from the underwater world safely. Along with the grace of Yucomb ---

DIAMOND OF LIGHT

Sheryl, the wandering beauty --- the lady who called herself the "Unlucky Woman" and kept herself distant from close contact with other people, is the owner of the long missing Destiny Stone "Diamond of Light".

Albert, Sif, Aisha, Jamil and the Minstrel were there when the the Minion "Wile" assaulted Sheryl for the Diamond. As much as they wanted to protect her, as the Minion struck at a timing when they completely did not expect any enemies at all, the party faced the threat of total annihilation. And holding the lives of Albert and the party hostage, the cunning Wile forced Sheryl to hand over the Destiny Stone.

If she remove the Diamond from her finger, something terrible will happen --- she did not know why, but she was sure of that. As she tried to remove it, her hands shivered. A fear that seemed as if she will cease to exist came over her. Yet, still, she removed the ring. In order to save the lives of those courageous people who come close to her.

The pact that she had with Elore was broken. The age-old pact that gave birth to the human being "Sheryl" a thousand years ago ---

While in the middle of the ecstasy of acquiring the Diamond, Wile felt fear in a sudden surge of power of Darkness. And the next moment, the dark energy that blew out of the being that was previously Sheryl disintegrated the Minion, who is a manifestation of Saruin's magic powers. A blow so heavy that shattered even his form, and sent to right back to where the evil god was.

The real identity of Sheryl --- that, is Sherah, the Goddess of Darkness. The last of the three Dark Side born from the remains of Saiva the Goddess of Destruction, she is the successor of the powerful magic of Darkness. But during the battle a thousand years ago, she exited the battle after encountering the Elith, Goddess of the Silver Moon, and the newborn Amt, Goddess of the Crimson Moon. As she was eventually getting tired of Saruin's incessant fighting, she came to an agreement with Elore. That is, in return that she do not assist in her brothers' war, she will be given the chance to live among human beings --- the short-lived beings that she as a Goddess cannot understand. And there, Elore put the Diamond of Light, which counters the Darkness that flows endlessly from Sherah's black hair, onto her finger. At that moment, her magic was completely neutralized, and she became no longer Sherah, but Sheryl. Becoming a being that, with an eternal life, as a powerless human, watching over the world of the humans ---

If she removed the Diamond, the personality of Sheryl would cease to exist. But even though she had expected it, she did it anyway. It was an act that proved that she, as a Goddess of Darkness, who in the past regarded the lives of humans as nothing more than mere trash, now truely understood that value.

Sheryl's self-conflict as well as her decision --- the Minstrel, while down on the floor, saw with his own eyes from the beginning till the end.

She had decided to sacrifice herself for the humans. That was exactly the final condition that Elore had imposed. The condition for the personality of Sheryl to continue to exist without the aid of the Diamond. By sacrificing herself, she returned to her identity of Sherah, and yet at the same time retained the personality of Sheryl. There is no longer any indication of evil around the new Goddess of Darkness.

Albert and his party retrieved the "Diamond of Life" which Sherah left behind.

At the same time, Hawk and his party had surfaced from the depths of the Black Sea, after acquiring the "Black Diamond of Darkness".

And in both parties, the Minstrel was ---
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:47

* PART X - GRAY - THE OBSIDIAN OF CHAOS *

Dark finally knew who he is.

Mt Tomae, an active volcano that spews fire even till today, located in the center of Ligau Isle, situated east of the Coral Sea --- within the depths of the caverns of the mountain, there lies the entrance that leads to the far side of the Netherworld. Descending from there to the land of the deceased, he faced Death, the eldest of the Dark Side and the guardian of souls.

In contrary to his brother Saruin, when the power of darkness of his sister Sherah was sealed up a thousand years ago, Death too lost his will to invade the world of the living. From there on, Death became no longer an evil god, but an important deity that is responsible for the countless souls entering the Netherworld --- not just the souls of humans, but all the souls of animals and plants and monsters --- managing them, and sending the cleansed, untainted spirits back to the transient world, as beginnings of fresh lives.

To Death, the most unforgivable sin for the deceased that had came to the Netherworld, is the refusal to let go of their memories during life and remaining dwelling in the filth of the transient world. Souls that could not be reborn as spirits this way were banished to the Purgatory, a place that is even deeper than the Netherworld, and tortured until they give up their tenacity towards their memories.

No matter how much regrets a soul has left in the transient world, it would not withstand for long in the Purgatory. In most cases, within a few days on the surface, it would give up its memories and hope to be reborn as a pure soul.

However, there was a soul that had endured this karmic suffering for a thousand years. An unbelievably tough emotion that even Death was compelled to admire --- this stubborn soul that had rejected cleansing in the thousandth level underground of the Purgatory, was the soul that had taken the vessel, the body of Dark. It was the other personality that brought about the other set of memories.

The real Dark was a man raised as the candidate for the leader of a syndicate of killers that were in control of the area before Kjaraht became a nation, and went underground waiting for a chance of revival after they were destroyed three hundred years ago --- the Assassin's Guild.

As the strongest of the syndicate, in order to prove that he is the authentic successor, he challenged the secret art of Resurrection from Fake Death by consuming a lethal poison. But, the test that was supposed to be totally well-prepared ended up in a failure, and Dark died. His soul left the body, and the strong, well-trained body became an empty vessel.

That was the scheme of the Minion, a servant of Saruin. A scheme to take control of the Assassin's Guild like a puppet and land Kjaraht in chaos --- Dark, being a key target of the plot, was murdered by being served a poison different from the ones that he had developed a resistance to over time. And, the soul of the wizard who endured a millenium in the Purgatory, borrowed from Death, king of the dead, was put into the empty body.

However, the Minion's expectation got out of place. The soul of Dark did not leave his body completely, and returned to his body when he was resurrected. With two souls, a terrible confusion occured within Dark, resulting in a memory blockage. He became a half-disabled and disappeared, thwarting the Minion's plan to use him as a puppet to control the Assassin's Guild. And after that, he encountered the adventurers, and eventually becoming a great help to the ones who shouldered the fate to stop Saruin from awakening instead.

With the permission of Death, Dark went to the bottom of the Purgatory, and there, the memories of a thousand years of emotion of love returned. Also, the fighting skills that awakened during the journeys of searching for the Destiny Stones recalled to him the memories as the authentic successor of the Assassin's Guild. Now, Dark have two complete personalities within him, each with their own self-awareness.

Although The two persons had nothing in common, they shared a common sentiment that Saruin is the enemy. To Dark from the Assassin's Guild, it was definitely unforgivable that the Minion established a fake Assassin's Guild. To the wizard who was previously sealed in the Purgatory, the re-sealing of Saruin is an important mission, inherited from the person whom the wizard loved.

However ---

While they share a common purpose, as two souls were encompassed within one body, Dark suffered under a heavy stress.

Along with Gray, while exploring the Frosthold Fortress hidden at the Frozen Lake of Valhalland, his limit is slowly breaking. But that was not a result of the conflicts of the personalities.

The reason was someone following along the party.

"Heh heh heh heh heh, be thankful! Few get to see my magic in person!"

Within the long passageway of the frozen castle, the nerve-wrecking voice of the man who called himself the Red Mage echoed. This noisy sorceror who joined the party at the entrance of the castle grated constantly against Dark's nerves.

--- Can't we kill him already?

Showing the looks of a dangerous assassin, he looked towards Gray. Taking it in a cool manner, the adventurer with the bloodline from the Ligau Isle returned a "just bear with it a little more" look.

The Red Mage ended the battle by killing the monster with an intense pain brought about by the Sorcery spell "Pain". The man cloaked in dark red clothings proudly looked around at the party and laughed loudly.

"Well, how was it? I'll show you more of my skills. Or are you mesmerized by my spells already?"

"Well, yeah..."

Myriam, a lady mage who is an old acquaintance of Gray, forced a smile and answered.

"That on its own is something. Chaotic Sorcery... Where did you learn it from? I'd like to give it a try too."

"Ahahaha, it's impossible, I'm telling you! It's not something that you can use."

"Isn't it so."

Throwing in the towel on the Red Mage who could not catch her sarcasm, she shrugged at the huge balding man beside her. The Paladin known as Galahad shook his head too with a disconcerted look.

Filling with a queer tension, the party came to the bottom of the castle --- close to the bottom of the eternally frozen lake, a structure with a level of wide open centrel hall. On the spot that resembled a throne, there was a ice statue of a beautiful female knight along with an aquatic drake, and in the hand of the lady was a strange sword with a jet black blade. When the Red Mage saw that, he yelled out in ecstasy.

"That sword is the Destiny Stone of Chaos, known as the "Obsidian Sword"! It is the most valuable treasure in the castle!"

As if in response to his yelling, the ice statue shook, and a firm voice resounded from the mouth of the female knight.

"I'm Frielei, guardian of the Obsidian Sword. I refuse to give up the Destiny Stone of Chaos to anyone."

"That wouldn't do. Even if I have to do it by force, I'm taking that sword. Come on, everyone! Let's show her what we...?"

The Red Mage finally realised that all the adventurers except for him had taken a huge step back and decided to become just audiences.

"What, what do you mean by this?"

"Did you seriously think we didn't know?"

Gray said coldly to the confused Red Mage, or rather, Minion "Hate".

"You are a Minion no matter how we look at you. It was a really tiring to keep up with this dumb cheap acting."

"Damn it! Isn't this only the first time we met?"

"In the Underwater Temple of Yucomb, we were attacked by this Minion called Strife who looked exactly like you. We faught this Wile guy in Melvir too. To be honest, I'm pretty tired of looking at your faces already."

"Grrr... "Strife" and "Wile", you screwed my plans... Well, that's not a problem!"

Hate, recovering from the surprise, ditched the completely meaningless disguise of the Red Mage and revealed his true form as a Minion.

"I was thinking of taking the Obsidian Sword from you casually after you defeat the guardians, but now it's just nothing more than taking a little more time. All who dares opposes Lord Saruin shall DIE!"

"Don't you have another guest first?"

With Gray pointing it out, the Minion gave an "ah" and spun around, only to be slapped hard by the huge fin of the drake, which is now completely free of the melted ice. And when the movement stopped, Frielei the guardian, swinging the Obsidian Sword, drove in hard with a slash from her entire body. The demonic sword, with the blade made of the Destiny Stone of Chaos itself, caught Hate off-guard and dealt to him a damage so tremendous that he could not maintain his form.

"Gwwaah, you despicable!... I'll remember that!"

"Don't think it's gonna change anything even if you do, though."

Watching expressionlessly at Hate fade away, Gray turned to look at Frielei.

"Well, I guess you probably understand what's going on already, but you're still gonna test our strength anyway?"

"I think we don't have a need for that anymore."

Stroking gently at the throat of the drake stretching its long frozen body, the Sorceress of Ice, who is also the elder sister of Flammar, answered.

"The guts to make use of us guardians to lead even the servant of Saruin by the nose --- Seeing that alone is good enough to tell that you are warriors who had overcame many trials. You may leave with the Obsidian Sword."

"So looks like you are retired from being a guardian already? How about lending me a hand then? I'd need all the help I can get to fight Saruin."

"... You are a wild one. Who would think that you'll invite me, previously a guardian, to be your comrade... Very well. I'll shall give my assistance."

Handing and taking over the Obsidian Sword with one hand, Gray and Frielei shook hands with the other. The chill of the ice statue no longer remained in her hand, but was replaced by a hot burning determination to fight Saruin.

"But Gray is a little too wild for good."

Galahad, an old friend of Gray, grunted unhappily.

"That thing with the Ice Sword. You didn't have to fight me that seriously, I'm a friend ya know?"

"That's because you wouldn't listen. You were killed by your obsession with swords and such. Besides, haven't I asked Death to revive you already?"

"That is that, but... Wait a minute. I was killed, and on top of that the Ice Sword that I spent big bucks on was robbed, and I got nothing in return at all! Hey, take those fingers out of your ears, dammit!"

"One thing or another, those two are inseparable... What can we say?"

Myriam, looking a little amazed, said to Dark, who looked like his mood gotten better after watching Hate fade before him.

"And you too, I know it's tough carrying two souls, but won't you feel slightly better if you both take it as an inseparable relationship too? If you stay too tensed, you won't last till we break Saruin, you know."

"Yeah... This would be fine for preparations. We'll come to a compromise till the end."

Thanking Myriam for her concern, he looked at the Obsidian Sword in Gray's hands. the ten stones of fate created by Elore in order to weaken the power of Saruin --- now, they are all within the hands of the adventurers.

The time for the decisive battle is near...
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:48

* PART XI - THE NIGHT OF FATE *

-----------------------------------
BETWEEN THE SCENES

"Wait a minute?"

The child from Uso interrupted the Minstrel's story.

"That last story, about the castle of ice, Mr. Minstrel isn't there, right? Then why are you so familiar about it? You sounded just like you were there watching it all."

The Minstrel smiled at the sharp question.

"Everyone says so too. Heh heh... Praising me for being able to tell a story so well?"

"No, well..."

While the child, still with a confused look, was being drowned out by the loud protests of the other kids like "it doesn't matter does it" and "quick please carry on", the Minstrel hurried on with his story.

-----------------
AT THE PUB
-----------------

The adventurers, after completing the final trial of Elore, the God of Light...

BETWEEN THE SCENES

"Hold it! What about the story of the Final Trial? Isn't that supposed to be an important part?"

The child from Uso cried out again.

"That is the only inconvenient part... No, I'm not too familiar with it too."

The Minstrel explained with a sheepish look.

"In any case, just like Mirsa the Silver Warrior, in order to become heroes, they had their lives on the line and completed the trial."

Stop interrupting the Minstrel! The angry voices of the other kids shut the child up, even though he looked unsatisfied with the answer. The lute continued to play, and the story was opened again.

---------------------------
AT THE PUB AGAIN
---------------------------

The adventurers, after completing the final trial of Elore the God of Light, gathered in Altour, a street-side town of Rosalia, to spent a time of rest there before the decisive battle.

The necessary preparations had almost all been settled. All their handy weapons were readied, and they waited for the impending deathmatch. All the magical medicines that would take instant effect and the artifacts were packed. Coming to the battle soon, there was nothing lacking on the material aspect. From Neidhart, the Crown Prince of Rosalia, to the leaders of the Knight's Dominion, and even secretly from Fel VI, Emperor of the Bafal Empire, the adventurers were given generous support in the form of rewards for their accomplishments so far.

But, there was still just one issue left to be decided upon. Something that must be decided upon. That, is "who should go for the battle".

The battle with Saruin is not one that can be won with numbers. Even if forces in thousands were led, it would not help in defeating the Evil God. The hatred and fear arising from within a group not with a united mind would only increasethe power of Saruin. A dedicated faith --- in other words, to a god, that bases his powers on the spirits of other living beings, throwing in unnecessary fighting numbers would be a suicidal action.

Like the way Mirsa the Silver Warrior and his companions did, there can only be five persons to face Saruin at one time --- and Who should be the ones to undertake these positions was the issue that they have to decide upon. Before they set off in the morning tomorrow.

And, they have heard everything from the one who best knows Saruin, and who in human terms would be the elder brother of Saruin. Saruin was born from the heart of Saiva, the Goddess of Destruction --- and Elore, the God of Light, was born from the little finger of Saiva. They have heard from him about what kind of personality that Saruin, as a god and as a manifestation of hatred, possesses.

In contrary to the powers he possess, Saruin was a god that was unbelievably irrational with gains and losses. He possesses a childish ego that, in the face of impending defeat, would certainly decide to bring his adversaries down along with himself, even if it is an action that would hurt himself deeply, delaying his resurrection by a few hundreds years --- or thousands of years, or even if he would never rise again.

In the very last moment that Saruin is being sealed, he would probably release his magic totally, with his own body as the core. A self-destructing, annihilating all-out attack that would distort even the time-space continum, and destroy everything --- There is no way any mortals can survive that. What awaits the adventurers, be it whether beyond the victory or the end of defeat, is an inevitable fate of death.

"Well, it looks like I should go?"

That night, within the people gathered in the pub, the girl who look youngest in the group raised her hand. "I might look like this, but I've lived pretty long 'nuff. It's difficult for ya youngsters to have that kinda realisation, no?"

It was Silver the Pirate. With her true form as a silver-scaled dragon, she had lived for hundreds of years. But, as a dragon, a race with a long lifespan, it is hard for one to say that she is old.

Following her, the one who was taught the way of knighthood by Lord Eugen, an ally of Mirsa, the Dragon Knight who is older than a millenium stood up silently. And then, the guardian of the Obsidian Sword, Frielei too.

"I'll go too. I've lived rather long enough as a human already. If I cross swords with Saruin, this life is worth it."

"But you've been frozen for a long time haven't you?"

Galahad the Paladin objected. "You still have a beautiful life ahead waiting for you to enjoy. I, as the follower of Mirsa, should be the one suitable for that task instead."

"Then as a knight, I shall go too!"

Jeers half-mixed with envy like You stay with your Konstanz! ensued, turning Raphael, still an immatured knight, to a blush.

"Everyone, thank you."

Towards his comrades, so fearless to volunteer in the face of death, Albert expressed his gratitude in the most sincere way.He closed his eyes for a brief moment to fight back the tears that threatened to overflow, and when it opened again, there was only a light of strong determination left.

"I certainly do not think that I am more powerful than anyone of you. But to face the fearsome god, it's not just power and courage, but luck is another important factor too. The Destiny Stones created to seal Saruin --- fate already has it that we had to obtain them."

There was no more room for objection. The journey to seek out the stones of fate was also an action to put one's luck on the scale. If it's not someone favoured by that "Luck", which determines the future not even Elore could see, it is impossible to defeat Saruin. Even Sif, who was strongly against the idea of fate and destiny, could not put an objection to that. From the ones chosen by the ten Destiny Stones, five shall be chosen --- it was precisely because it is a battle with the fate of the world on the table, that one has to abide by this principle.

"So, please, let me go. I will show you a battle that will not shame the name of my late father"

"Ah well. I don't even know how my folks look like, but lemme tag along."

"If Al and Jamil are going, I can't lose out on this. Let me go too?"

Albert, Jamil and Aisha --- the three youngest ones out of those who possessed the stones of fate, volunteered themselves one by one. Even if there's no other choice, this is much too much cruel --- and as if hearing this from the thoughts of everyone, Hawk stood up. Being the eldest within the holders of the Destiny Stones, his words would be the ones that can save the youngsters from their imminent death.

But, what came out from his mouth was a surprise.

"Oh, so the slots are getting less, looks like ya ain't gonna need me no more. Well then, excuse me from this meeting already. I'm a sitting duck on land anyway."

And as he said that, the pirate strode out of the pub while the rest sat dumbfounded.

"Stop right there Captain!"

On the main street of Altour, lined up by roadside merchants in the day, now being only a part of the New Road under the starlit sky, a totally enraged Sif chased after Hawk.

"What the hell is wrong with ya!? Came all the way here and ya' chickening out!? How disappointing!!"

"Well, don't get that excited."

Turning around, Hawk looked around to ensure that there were no one else apart from Sif. "There's still a little tough work left to be done around here too."

Sif realised that the sparkle from within the single eye of Hawk tells that he is not a coward.

" --- Is there, something else?"

"Aye. Can't leave Saruin there, but there's somethin' quite as dangerous."

As they reached the outskirts of the town, Hawk started to tell. Saruin, baring his rivalry against Elore, also created ten Destiny Stones. The evil god buried them within a monster, and created a powerful servant that is immune to all magics.

But, every single stone of fate of the evil god, created only to pursue power, would have a terrible effect on the owner. And, all ten of these stones, being buried in one single body, destroyed the mentality of the behemoth completely, and turned it into an uncontrollable madness in the end. A monster that not even Saruin could control, and sealed it deep within the depths of the Frontier --- the Jewel Beast, is now awakening too, due to the resurrection of Saruin.

"Barbara's friend Hermann had kept an eye on it since some time ago, and the folks from the expeditors' villages had been evacuated before it woke up. We couldn't stop Westend from being destroyed, though. But we ain't gonna let it come any closer to Tarmitta. We're gonna to stop it there."

"Then I'll go too!"

"Barbara's in the know, so she's coming. But we're counting on you to watch over the boys and the girl. We're all gonna die anyway, and they'd rather die heroes, aye? That's not like me. Anyway, I can't go back to the seas and you can't go back to your snowlands, so let's meet at the other world again."

"Captain..."

Even though it was because that she was not in the know, Sif hung her head in shame for having called him a coward. Then, by the blood of a natural hunter running through her, she picked up a faint sense of presence.

Spinning around, two silhouttes stood quietly. It was an impressive display of coverting skills, that kept them in elusion until this moment.

"Just as I thought. What a lousy act."

"Leaving us out, how polite of you. Because you're a 'man of the sea'?

"Ah, damn."

It was Gray and Claudia. Knowing that they have overheard everything, Hawk scratched his head weakly.

"There's nothin' great on this side, ya know?"

"Don't you know that I'm a whimsical guy like you?"

"I'm a guardian of the forest. Don't like to be conspicious anyway."

"... Dammit, you guys... Well then, leave your lives with me!"

And as such, the adventurers carrying the Destiny Stones were split into two groups. The ones who would challenge Saruin, and the ones who would take the Jewel Beast on.

For the last person in the team to fight Saruin, being the strong will of the person and being the one who was most involved in the searches for the Destiny Stones, Dark was chosen. On his finger was the "Diamond of Light", left behind by Sheryl...

BETWEEN THE SCENES

"The journeys to find the Destiny Stones, isn't Mr. Minstrel the one most involved? I counted and you were there one time more than Mr. Dark... Ah nothing nothing nevermind please carry on and don't mind me."

The child from Uso shut himself up as everyone glared at him silently.

Suddenly, the story of the Minstrel intensified into a sad tune...
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:48

* PART XII - THE DECISIVE BATTLE *

The following morning...

The heroes of the Destiny Stones wished luck to one another, and went on two separate paths. A journey of death, destined with no return --- yet they shouldered the fate of all humankind. It was a battle that they cannot afford to take defeat.

Until the very end, Guella=Ha the Gecko asked to be included in the party to take on the Jewel Beast. To him, Hawk was first human that he opened his heart to, and a real man of the seas that he has pledged to follow for the rest of his life. He had wished from the bottom of his heart, that if it is not possible to fulfill his dream to return to the seas, then he could at least fight and die together.

Hawk reproached Guella=Ha hard. That Guella=Ha has to be the one to bridge the differences between Humans and Geckos after Saruin is gone. Hawk had looked far into the future. And so, Guella=Ha obeyed the order of the Captain, as if they were on the seas. Battering his eyelids several times to fight back his tears, he watched his comrades leave southwards of the New Road until they left his sight.

Albert did not think that it was a coincidence that Isthmus is the place where the Evil God slept for a thousand years. He was supposed to be the ruler of this land, and now he shoulders the duty to seal Saruin. It was something that has to be done. He felt that he was born in this land, in this era, for this purpose.

The young bird pursuing the back of his sister had overcame numerous trials, and have matured into a fine young man. Into a hero that, instead of cursing his cruel fate, had overcame them with his own will. Had Isthmus not fallen, he might not have learned the arts of battle. Sif, Jamil, Aisha, and Dark --- He would not have met these people, who had supported him all this while. Turning advarsities into strength, Albert, son of Lord Isthmus, now challenges a god.

From the cavern hidden deep at the end of the Garam mountain range, they warped to the sealed labyrinth. To where the Evil God will awaken...

At the same time.

Legions of countless monsters started overflowing from the unexplored regions of the Frontier. Multiplying in incredible numbers, these scouts of the Evil God trudged on the New Road as if they owned it. Beastmen and Lizardmen on the land, swarms of battle beasts advanced in earth-shattering magnitude, and winged monsters danced wildly, covering the air. Through the waves of the sea, countless shadows of mutated fishes can be seen traversing eastwards.

It was a desparing sight. If Estamir, the largest city in the world, should fall into the hands of the demonic army, morale of all mankind would fall, and that would easily spread to the rest of the world in no time. If that happens, even if the resurrection of Saruin is prevented, the history of humankind will end there.

The knights, led by Theodore and Raphael, had already cast their ethnic differences aside and went to the aid of Kjaraht. When the Rosalian army arrives, they might be able to hold on to the defense of Estamir.

"If that humongous monster doesn't go, that is."

Slipping past the first wave of the legions of monsters, when Hawk and his party arrived at Westend, they saw the gigantic monster in the middle of the ruins of what used to be a town. Preparing itself for the next impulse of destruction, gathering power in the form of sleep, the wild Jewel Beast --- if this fearsome nemesis ever make it out of Frontier, any remaining hopes of survival of the humankind would be dashed.

Even if they win this battle, Hawk and the party would be overpowered by the swarms of monsters that are still to follow. The retreating route to Tarmitta had been cut off.

"Wow, what a situation I've landed myself in... But well, since Gray and Ms. Claudia are fighting, guess I can't leave myself out, isn't it?"

Taking Guella=Ha out and forcing himself in, Jean gave them courage. A little courage, just enough to take that one step forward --- but that is the one step that would determine life and death in this tight battle. A power greater than that of the Destiny Stones began to grow within them.

"Alright, LET'S GO!!"

Jean, who was given the Black Diamond as a charm, took up the front.

"Hey hey, I'm the captain here, okay?"

"Cut me some slack, will ya? We're on the land anyway."

"He makes some sense there."

"Stop calling me 'miss'..."

With Jean's command, the battle to the death with the most powerful beast unfold.

---------

A nightmare of a thousand years ago, a shameful defeat by mere tools of Elore. Under the seal, with only hatred grew day by day, Saruin waited and waited for this day to take his revenge.

But the Evil God, powerful since his birth, had not learned anything from his previous defeat. Why should I, a god, to use all my powers from the beginning, just on these beings that looked even weaker than Mirsa? --- That ego messed up Saruin's judgement. When he finally realised it, he had suffered damage beyond recovery of the situation, and what should have been an endless flow of his powers is beginning to wither. Those dread Destiny Stones are about to seal him up once again.

"Damn it! I will not die alone! I will take you along!"

Realising that he no longer have any hopes of victory, the Evil God possessed by rage and regret screamed. Channeling all his remaining mana, and turning them into lethal destructive energy. Just as Elore had forecasted.

Albert, Sif, Jamil and Aisha were taken by the flash. In that instant, the other soul residing in Dark --- Aldora, who perished tragically for the sake of her beloved Mirsa the Silver Warrior, called out.

"oh, God! Oh, Elore! Did he --- did Mirsa died this way too? And now, these young, courageous people are going to die that way too? If so, God, I shall spend endless times of regret and grudge in the depths of the Purgatory again. For the next millenium, and the next millenium to follow, for ever and ever I shall never forget, and turn my back on you. Please, please, save these innocent --- "

A bolt of light flashed across the space, and the shockwave followed. And the sealed labyrinth fades to...
Chocolat
Chocolat

A Bard's Tale Empty
MessageSujet: Re: A Bard's Tale   A Bard's Tale Icon_minitimeSam 14 Mar - 18:49

* PART XIII - EPILOGUE *

"And so, the heroes saved the world from Saruin's awakening, and the people of Estamir were protected by the honourable Order of the Knights and Neidhart the Black Prince. Also, Duke Loban, who was scheming of taking this chance to attack Rosalia from Isthmus, was forced to stop advancing near the borders when he suffered a sudden intense pain in his right arm. Immediately following, Isthmus collapsed, and the elites of the empire suffered heavy damages. The calamity struck the town of Loban as well. Some said that the Duke had placed a hex on the Emperor with the power of Saruin, and the retribution came to him along with the defeat of the Evil God..."

The lengthy story came to an end there.

But, there was no clapping or cheering. All the children only sat still in silence.

Finally, one child broke the silence. It was none other than the child from Uso.

"Mr. Albert, uncle Hawk, did they all became the stars? Just like Mirsa the Silver Warrior..."

The Minstrel kept some silence, looked around the children, and spoke.

"Look above you."

The children looked up above, and the countless stars in the night skies twinkled.

"Can you see them? The stars that they have became?"

"I can't see them. I don't know!"

The children started to yell. Some even looked like they are going to cry. None of the Volunteer's Brigade could accept the ending of this story.

"Didn't they saved the world?!"

Streams of tears started flowing on the cheeks of the boy from Uso.

"This is too much! Why didn't God save them?!"

"That's because, well, gods shouldn't really be interfering in the life or death of humans."

A gentle voice, not of the Minstrel's, spoke softly from behind the crying child.

"Yep yep. You're not gonna blame God for everyone who dies, will ya?"

Yet another voice, that of a young man's, spoke.

"But well, there are always exceptions."

The voice of a teenage girl, laced with tinges of innocence, spoke cheerfully.

"'Cos if God ain't do nothin' at all, nobody's gonna believe in him anymore."

The voice was rough and uncouth, yet distinctly a female's.

"You brats, don't just depend on gods. You should pray that those ships today are well-loaded!"

A ruffled, hearty voice of a man laughed.

"Stop teaching the children the wrong things."

As if not even stirring the wind, the quiet voice of a lady resounded.

"Hmmm... Even God can be pretty whimsical once in a while."

This was a supressed whisper.

"C'mon, the Minstrel's story is over, how about letting sis present a nice dance for you now?"

The lady clapped, bright and cheery as a sunny day.

The children looked around them wide-eyed and lost for words.

Right now, right there, the heroes told in the story are standing before them. Albert, the royalty of Rosalia; Jamil, the thief from Kjaraht; Aisha, the Taralian girl; Sif, the Vahallan warrior; Captain Hawk; Claudia, the royal princess of Bafal; Gray, the wandering adventurer; and Barbara, the dancer;... No one had noticed until now that they have came around the bonfire.

At the moment that the Evil God perished, Elore twisted the time continuum of Albert and the others with a powerful spell. He did the same to Hawk and his party, which should have perished under the powerful Blaster that occured at the same time that the Jewel Beast was slain.

That period took a fwe months. Time, enough for even the destructive energy like a curse of Saruin, as well as the the storm of lethal toxic created with the destruction of the Destiny Stones of the Evil God, to dissipate. The heroes, who were thought to have perished as the several search teams despatched did not find anything about them, literally did not exist in the world for a while after Isthmus collapsed. Separated from the energy of destruction, and appearing suddenly in the future. Living, in a future that they have grasped, with their own hands.

It was a tremendous spell that even Elore had a price to pay for. He had lost, permanently, an amount of godly powers, matching that of the self-explosion of Saruin --- it was an absurd price in any god's eyes, to pay for merely saving ten "tools".

But, Elore has made his decision. That a mistake must be corrected. That the tragedy of Mirsa and Aldora shall never be repeated ever again.

And so, a miracle had taken place.

---

Everyone who was involved in the battle had gathered here, invited by the Minstrel.

The Minstrel played a cheery tune, and the children formed a ring and danced around with Barbara. Jamil, along with Farah, his childhood friend, as well as Dowd, his partner, joined the ring in dancing. Albert, finally reconciled with his sister Diana, performed a splendid dance in the fashion of the royalties. Neidhart, having formally held a wedding ceremony with Diana, sat nearby and watched over them with a smile. Aisha sat on Sif's shoulders, while Hawk exchanged toasts with Guella=Ha. Claudia and Gray, not liking to be conspicious, quietly strolled on the Steppes a little further from the ring. The mage sisters Frielei and Flamma took turns to fire spells of ice and flame into the starlit skies. Watching earnestly at Hermann taking the chance to start an al-fresco shoppe, Patrick grasped a hint on how to revive the economy of the empire. Silver and the Dragon Knight chatted away in dragon tongue. Myriam, looking bored, shrugged her shoulders at, Gallahad, who is happily showing off his new sword. Looking at Raphael and his wife Konstanz, lovey-dovey as usual, Theodore smiled along with Heinrich, whom health had improved slightly. If one looked intently into the darkness in the distant, where the light of the bonfire could not reach, the silhoutte of a silver wolf and a brown bear can be seen sitting there.

"Awright! All's well and good. This is how an adventure should end!"

Wolfing on the food prepared at the pub and finishing the wine that Monica has poured for him in a gulp, Jean exclaimed heartily.

"By the way, what has became of you now? glurg, gulp"

In response to the question, a silhoutte stood up from the chair that he was sitting on. A man with long, crimson hair --- no longer wearing that familiar mask.

"That Aldora within me was raised to where Mirsa is. After a thousand years, she could finally be with him. So, all's left here is Dark. But mind you, it's not Dark the successor to the Assassin's Guild --- just Dark, the free adventurer."

"Oh, that sounds great! So to the real beginning to your life that is not controlled by god --- CHEERS!!"

*** THE END ***

------ CREDITS ------

ROMANCING SA GA - MINSTREL SONG

A BARD'S TALE

STARRING :

THE GREATEST HOPE - ALBERT
THE HIDDEN STRENGTH - AISHA
THE FREE SOUL - GRAY
THE FATED GRACE - CLAUDIA
THE ASPIRING SPIRIT - JAMIL
THE SEVERING BLADE - SIF
THE BURNING HEART - HAWK